under hood pad

fasttbird12

anyone remove the pad under the hood? do i really need it? i want the blower to be louder its already ported with a 10% and closed silencing ports. i think that it is abzorbing a lot of the noise. does it block the heat that much where if i remove it the paint will get messed up on the hood.

From what I understood the padding is there to help put out fires in the engine bay if the need ever arose. I guess you could take it out and not have problems.

Shane

quick35th said:
From what I understood the padding is there to help put out fires in the engine bay if the need ever arose. I guess you could take it out and not have problems.

Shane
well that does make sense but than i have a 93 crown vic PI and why would they leave the cop model without that padding when that model is made to be running hard ?, i think its just there to cool the top part off the hood maybe? im not sure myself though

I took mine out a while ago, a bit louder. When its raining and you're stopped (after driving hard) you'll see the hood steam a bit where the supercharger is lol

91_SC_BIRD said:
I took mine out a while ago, a bit louder. When its raining and you're stopped (after driving hard) you'll see the hood steam a bit where the supercharger is lol

In that case then I say leave the padding on under your hood so you dont bake your paint and underside of your hood.

Shane

Mine's been gone over a year. I race it, drive it hard, and live in the desert. It doesn't even get the hood hot at all (the sun will get it hotter :rolleyes: ). in the winter i drive 10 miles to work stop and go traffic and the heater never gets warm air out of it. so, i think it may trap some good engine heat for your heater. other than that, useless. My blower's the same only with a 5% and i don't remember if it makes it louder or not. I know mine is pretty loud though.

:rolleyes: Hey the pad does help if your supercharger belt breaks when your flooring it, doing around a houndred or so (multipal times). I now have two large holes in mine where the belt went through it. but by the sound of thangs yours runs a little better than mine, so its all good. :D

I think a read somewhere (probably on this site) that the padding is there for noise absorbtion/reduction but i could be wrong. At any rate, when my fan motor quit on me, the car overheated and shorted a wire, which then lit the padding on fire/melted the pad and dripped all over the engine...so i wouldn't count on it for fire prevention. The hood still looks good though :D

I took mine off after it was soaked by a blown rad hose. You can hear everything from the engine bay a little better. The only fire protection it could provide is to warn you sooner with smoke signals that you have an engine fire. The one on my 89 was falling apart anyway so it was dumped.

I removed mine after this happened. I was picking that fuzzy stuff off the motor for months. BTW, I don't think it sounded any louder without the hood insulation.

shreaded.jpg

David

underhood pad

I'm looking for under hood pad for my 89 T Bird super coupe. belt broke and took a chunk out of my pad. If you decide to remove it I'd be interested in what condition it is in and what you'd like to get for it.

Back