Clicking Noise ARC rear shocks

rph1966

Hi
I have a 94 SC I bought new. Has 39,000 mi. Recently the rear ARC shock towers statred to make a clicking sound when I turn the ignition on. In the past the clicks stopped after a couple of clicks. Now the clicking continues when I drive. I can get it to stop by turning on the firm ride control. When I turn the firm ride off it is usually OK till the next start up. Is there a way to correct this? Thanks for your time & input. The dash light does not come on when the clicking occures.

Tony
rph1966@hotmail.com

It's probably one of the actuators has come off it's mount. Pull the trunk lining off and make sure they are locked down (they have clear plastic arms on each side that lock in place - if in doubt squeeze them together and push down on the top, then release.

Hi Jim

Thanks for your reply. Since I posted I have found that there are 3 clicks that come from the back of the car that correspond to 3 noises that come form the front drivers side shock. Also, some times the firm ride light blinks 3 times. Is the problem with the front drivers side shock? Is that the one to check?
Thanks
Tony

rph1966 said:
Hi Jim

Thanks for your reply. Since I posted I have found that there are 3 clicks that come from the back of the car that correspond to 3 noises that come form the front drivers side shock. Also, some times the firm ride light blinks 3 times. Is the problem with the front drivers side shock? Is that the one to check?
Thanks
Tony

If the light is flashing 3 times, then its the front pax side that is causing the prob. If you pop the cover and actuator off, you will see a little pin inside. Spray some WD40 down there, and grab a pair of needle nose plyers and gently rotate the pin about 90 degrees each side of the position you found it in.... JUST NOTE WHERE IT WAS BEFORE YOU START, because you have to return the pin to that position.

Replace the actuator but press down gently, and if you have the pin back at the right position it should click into position. Don't force it though... if you need to, nudge the pin around a little till the actuator goes on.

I did that with mine and it worked for a couple of months, but mine are getting old now so I figure its old age creeping in, and its time for new shocks.

Good luck
Frit

Hi Frit

Thanks for your reply. Will try your suggestion. If 3 blinks is the passenger side front, why does the drivers side front make a thumping noise that corresponds to the clicking in the back of the car? should I do both?
Thanks
Tony

rph1966 said:
Hi Frit

Thanks for your reply. Will try your suggestion. If 3 blinks is the passenger side front, why does the drivers side front make a thumping noise that corresponds to the clicking in the back of the car? should I do both?
Thanks
Tony

Might as well do both, and if you can do the rears as well, even though its a little tighter back there to get to them.

Frit

Back