Starts Sometimes...sometimes it wont

D

DMan

I have been battling a problem for a while now and nobody can figure out the problem.

The car sometimes just doesn't want to start.
We replaced the starter (3 times). Now a Ford model is on there...

When I turn the key, I can hear a clicking in the starter, like it wants to turn over.

I had the battery & alternator checked...everything ok...

Anybody had this problem?

It seems as if it starts better cold than hot. I have had more problems with this car over the past months...I just want it to start and run...

Thanks for any help in advance,

David

2 things to check:
- starter relay (black thing on the side wall behind the fuse box)
- smaller wire connecting to the spade on the top of the starter. Clean it and make sure its tight. In fact, the plastic cover will probably crumble apart.. thats OK.. clean the spade and the tab, and squeeze the spade together slightly, plug it back in and cover with silicon to keep water/oil out.

Jump the starter relay, this will tell you if the relay is bad.

If the relay is good, check the battery cables and all the ground straps on the engine.

Aaron

I was having the same problem. Take a good look at the small connector that slides onto the top of the Starter. Mine looked OK, but when I moved it back and forth at the connection it broke off in my hands. It gets pretty corroded in that area. I replaced mine with another slide on connector that I picked up at an Auto Parts store. Good Luck.
Jim

Back