Radiator fan

midgetchaser

I was reading past posts and i found somehting that sparked my intrest. There was talk about making the fan turn on wiht the car so its always running. I was wondering if that would be a good idea. On cold days i was thinking the car might run too cool (if there is such a thing) and that might suck untill it warmed up, but in the summer i think it might be a benifit. any one have any info on this?

Greg, our cars run better when cool. You usally will get a lbs or 2 more boost when it is running cold, also. It probably isn't a very good idea to have the fan on whenever you start the car. They have switches that you can get to switch it on and off when you want (or see your car about to overheat, whichever happens first) or you can just pop on the A/C and your fan will go on.

now our cars have 2 fans a low and a high speed fan is this right? or just 2 settings? and if so which should i get the switch for. and will this confuse the thermostat or EEC and cause any problems?

Last edited:
Our cars have a front mounted pusher fan which only comes on when the car starts to overheat @ 230deg or so. The puller fan usually kicks on @ a whopping 220deg. To make the car run cooler, run the switch to the rear mounted puller fan, install a 180deg T-stat, and have a shop clean out your rad. Also throw in a bottle of purple ice or water wetter with a 25/75 mix of coolant to water. That should keep the temps down. If your are still running a stock IC, think about getting a IC fan to lower your intake charge. Hope this helps.

Thomas

sonicman1634 said:
Our cars have a front mounted pusher fan which only comes on when the car starts to overheat @ 230deg or so. The puller fan usually kicks on @ a whopping 220deg. To make the car run cooler, run the switch to the rear mounted puller fan, install a 180deg T-stat, and have a shop clean out your rad. Also throw in a bottle of purple ice or water wetter with a 25/75 mix of coolant to water. That should keep the temps down. If your are still running a stock IC, think about getting a IC fan to lower your intake charge. Hope this helps.

Thomas

Thanks very much that was just the info i was looking for.

Greg

sonicman1634 said:
Our cars have a front mounted pusher fan which only comes on when the car starts to overheat @ 230deg or so. The puller fan usually kicks on @ a whopping 220deg.
Thomas
I don't have experience with the later model SCs, but he earlier models have only one radiator fan with two speeds.

All the SC's have the same 2 speed Siemens puller fan, just the harness connection is different on the 94-95 and, it's fused under the hood, rather than using a fusible link . The extra pusher fan was added on the 94-95 as a safety - I believe because of the change in a/c refrigerant. Anyways, it might be easier to just put a switch in line with the IRCM low voltage circuit. There are some articles on the TCCOA as well as the MN12 sites; but on mine I just cut the #14 wire (or was it the #17 - a long time ago now!) spliced in a couple of wires and ran them to a switch on the dash. You also have to run a connection across to the #17 (high speed), so that if the engine runs hot enough to bring the high speed on it automatically disables the low speed. Basically the low speed will automatically run when you cut or break the #14 wire; some people just simply put a coupler in line and disconnect it in the summer. However, I found the car runs ok around town with the a/c on (low speed automatically runs) but once you get on the highway (around 47mph I recall) the fans cuts out and the car relies upon natural cooling until about 214deg when the low comes back on. So by switching it on early on the highway I've found it definitely runs cooler and it usually stops it getting hot enough to bring on the high speed (218deg I believe); which is a good thing.

If you break the connection of the #14 wire, the low speed fan will come on......

If you ground the #17 wire, the high speed fan will come on.......

Back