Anyone using Spal cooling fans?

Thomas95SC

I have two Spal cooling fans for my to replace the stock ones. Are they any good? How hard is it to wire them up? They use a different harness than the stock one so any extra info is helpful. Thanks.

Thomas

sonicman1634 said:
I have two Spal cooling fans for my to replace the stock ones. Are they any good? How hard is it to wire them up? They use a different harness than the stock one so any extra info is helpful. Thanks.

Thomas

I only run 1 Spal fan, but here goes. The Spal fan has 2 wires, correct? Should be a black and a red one. Cut the connector off your old fan and connect the Spal fan's black wire into the connector's black wire. Splice the other 2 wires on the connector to the red wire on the Spal fan. I also bought a Painless wiring fan relay and wired up a switch so I can turn it on whenever I want, but this is really unnecessary. If you wire up the other fan, you may consider doing something similar in case you need that extra bit of cooling. Hope this helps.

Brandon: Thanks for the info, so just put black to black, and then take the other two wires located on the old connector and combine them with the one red from the Spal fan?

XR7 Dave: Thats good to hear! Sure did cost enough.

sonicman1634 said:
Brandon: Thanks for the info, so just put black to black, and then take the other two wires located on the old connector and combine them with the one red from the Spal fan?

XR7 Dave: Thats good to hear! Sure did cost enough.

Yep, the black is the ground. The two other wires are the low speed and high speed, so they get connected to the power wire (red).

Yep, the black is the ground. The two other wires are the low speed and high speed, so they get connected to the power wire (red).

Quick Question:

Doing it this way, does it turn the fan on when the high and low speed kick on? Does that mean it will run constant when it hits the right temp? Will this cause a problem with the SPAL fan. I have to wire mine up and just want to do it right. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Quick Question:

Doing it this way, does it turn the fan on when the high and low speed kick on? Does that mean it will run constant when it hits the right temp? Will this cause a problem with the SPAL fan. I have to wire mine up and just want to do it right. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Yup, the spal fan only knows one speed, full bore. I soldered both power wires from the stock fan connector to the spal power wire and called it a day. You wont have any problems if you do it this way.

Last edited:
Yup, the spal fan only knows one speed, full bore. I soldered both power wires from the stock fan connector to the spal power wire and called it a day. You wont have any problems if you do it this way.

Correct....because whenever the EEC calls for the high speed circuit to energize, it shuts off the low speed circuit at the same time. I'm using a pair of Spal fans on my 91 as part of the MP FMIC and they work very well.

David

SPAL does make a fan controller that reads temp, turns on and off at preset temps, turns on automatically when you activate AC and does some other pretty cool stuff. I've got one with a SPAL fan for my 57. It may seem fairly simple by late model standards but this is a big deal for an older car.

http://www.spalusa.com/FAN-PWM2.html

That kit uses a GM 1 wire connector sensor..Hypertech makes ones that turn on at a lower temp. Can you control turn on with the moduale??? Otherwise you can make something sim using teh GM switch and a few relays

You can control turn on by programming it and telling it when to come on ahead of time. But no, I don't think you can press a button and make it come on automatically while driving.

You can control turn on by programming it and telling it when to come on ahead of time. But no, I don't think you can press a button and make it come on automatically while driving.

used one at work, gonna be using another one soon (typically we deal with aircooled cars here) the only thing i wish the Spal unit had, was a way to clear athe 50% turn on and Full speed turn on point, which i myself (maybe it's only me) found to be fun setting the 50% turn on point, if you want it to turn on alittle later then the factory point.. (and also raise the Full turn on to) since the two points then become `to close', it has a hissy fit, shuts off and starts flashing it's lights at you.. but found, it just to fun to set, but can be done, and is pretty good, so far (one year with one installed, and no problems yet (knock on wood) compared to the Flex-a-lite VSC POS i have in my own car)

Also the other thing i like about the SPal unit, is you can have a primary fan and a Secondary fan.. the Primary wil be Variable speed, and if the temps still climb to the full speed part, it'll turn on a second fan (full speed only VIA a relay)

witht he Spal, the only thing is i wish one can earse the turn on points fully, would be, least to me, easier to program.. :)

Back