bhj balancer ?

Brianas

If I get that bhj harmonic balancer does it come with a pulley
if not what do u guys recommend for a pulley (new)
thanks Josh

I think most guys run the aftermarket pulleys because they are zero balance whereas the OEM pulley and dampener was supposedly a matched set.

Not 100% on this, but I believe the aftermarket piece is the same size as stock. Hopefully someone else who has a set handy can measure one for us??

There is no current aftermarket pulley that is the stock size. There is discussion going on about having some made, but it has not yet happened. ASP makes the set of underdrives that most people are running. March may be offering an alternative soon, as a group buy was just executed with them. Not sure if they will be available for individual sale or not. Most likely a group buy would have be set up to get a stock sized pulley made.

Hope that helps.

Josh

If you do go with the BHJ damper, you will need to get it honed to match your crank snout.
Also the installation tool is rather expensive (~$90) and is not a standard item (metric crank thread), so look into borrowing one.

I have the tool on order and will lend it out with a deposit.

Aaron

BTW: The damper is very well done and the tech support is great at BHJ

The tool that I have used to install mine is just a regular crank dampener installation tool. Nothing you cannot buy from a store. It does have several different threaded rods for both metric and standard crank snout threads. Shop around and I think you should be able to find one for less than $90.

I coldn't find one local with the metric threads. I just ordered the BHJ tool because my car has been in peices for way too long.

Aaron

What are the advantages of running the BHJ balancer over a stock balancer? I am thinking about it. I have the heads off my SC and I'm going to remove the cam so I have to pull my balancer off anyways. I don't konw how the hell i'm going to get this thing timed right when I put it back together, hopefully it isn't too hard.

So when I take mine off, if I replace it with the BHJ I can't just install it and everything will be fine? What is needed to be done? I'm trying to leave the engine in the car on this head and cam job.

You can use the stock pulley with your BHJ

But, if you do, you will want to take the pulley to a machine shop and have it "zero-balanced". The BHJ unit is already balanced so no need to take the BHJ and stock pulley in for balancing as a unit (unless you just want to be 100% sure they match).

Thanks for all the info guys
I think that if I cant find an aftermarket pulley that
is close to stock size-I will just get the stock one
balanced and possibly straightened if need be
Josh

Back