Rebuilding my short block...

AlanEdwards

I spun a couple of rod bearings and I've got just shy of 100K on the engine, so I'm doing a short block rebuild.

How much should the bearings (cam, rod, and main), gasgets, freeze plugs, water pump, rings, and whatever else I'll need, cost me retail?

Any other suggestions of what I might need would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan

Felpro / Sealed Power / Federal Mogul whoever the heck they feel like being at the time, sell a few kits for the SC motor. Can't find crap at summit site using Federal Mogul numbers but I did find a master kit that includes pistons for under $500.
MKP6339B

Check with a local speed shop to see what they can get you.

You could also call Northern Auto parts (http://www.naparts.com/) and see if they can put something together for you. I know a few people have had rebuild kits for their engines sourced out of them.

thats to bad that doesnt sound like many miles mine is on 225 thousand no knocks yet .sounds like you will need 2 connecting rods and crank kit if bearings spun it stretches the rods . i was looking for prices but didnt see a crank kit just head set for like 135 , i just bought the headgaskets myself they were only 15 or 20 a piece , rod bearings for like 25 and cam bearings around 25 . but rod bearings should come with the crank kit

Last edited:
AlanEdwards said:
I spun a couple of rod bearings and I've got just shy of 100K on the engine, so I'm doing a short block rebuild.

How much should the bearings (cam, rod, and main), gasgets, freeze plugs, water pump, rings, and whatever else I'll need, cost me retail?

Any other suggestions of what I might need would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan

I found this website offering rebuild kits.

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/rebuildkitsford.html

My crank was OK. It was able to be turned 10/10. I did lose 2 rods though. They want $36 for each new one. Is that a good price?

Thanks for the help guys. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Last edited:
You can get all six new rods, the 94/95 style for about 100 on ebay...

You might want to search compelted items, there is a guy there that is always selling a set....

AlanEdwards said:
My crank was OK. It was able to be turned 10/10. I did lose 2 rods though. They want $36 for each new one. Is that a good price?

Thanks for the help guys. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

I would install a new BHJ dampener while your doing the rebuild. Reinstalling the old one isn't reccomended, because they don't fit tight enough the second time around.

David

Back