Power steering pulley removal for novices

J.D.

SCCoA Member
Read on if –
You don’t know what a press-fit pulley is.
You want to save yourself some time, aggravation, and money.
You cannot figure out which tool to use from the other threads on this subject.

The attached pictures show the right and wrong tool to use for removing the power steering pump pulley. The pulley removal and installation tool kit can be borrowed from auto parts stores. When assembling the pulley removal tool from the assorted bolts in the kit, make sure to use the long bolt with a smooth (unthreaded) lower half and flat (not tapered) tip. The narrower diameter end of this bolt has to slide all the way into the hole in the center of the pump shaft. The threads in the hole of the pump shaft are used only when installing the pulley. If you use the short bolt with a tapered end, it will expand the shaft while you are trying to pull the pulley off. The harder you try, the more difficult it will be for the pulley to slide off. In the end the lip on the hub of the pulley will break off.

Attachments

• P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 208
  • P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 246
  • P3.jpg
    P3.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 205
  • P4.jpg
    P4.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 223
  • P5.jpg
    P5.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 217
I've been using the wrong tool I suppose. :eek: But no problem so far. Next time I'll use the unthreaded shaft. ;)

TbirdSCFan said:
I've been using the wrong tool I suppose. :eek: But no problem so far. Next time I'll use the unthreaded shaft. ;)
Your pulley may have been taken off before causing it to fit loosely on the shaft (the pulley hub is made from a soft metal).
It's possible to use a threaded bolt that screws into the pump shaft (assuming that it will fit the large nut for the pulley removal tool). Just don't use the bolt that has a larger diameter than the threads. It will cause the end of the shaft to expand and split.

The pulley has been off/on at least 1/2 dozen or more times through the years which is why I finally just bought the tool rather than driving up to the autozone store every time I needed one. Pulling it makes any job on the engine a lot easier. It comes right off for me. I've heard other have some real problems removing theirs including some where the lip breaks off. :eek:

I just used a normal three arm puller, put a socket on the end so the tip wouldint lodge in the pump shaft. works great, had to get my hammer-ometer to straighten the pulley after though :-( .

Back