Head Gasket Leak?

sclovehater

Hey you guys,
I just bought a '90 SC and it runs ok and holds idle but a tiny bit sputtery. If its been sitting for a day or two it takes a few turns of the key to get it started. Water mixed with oil drips out of tailpipe onto floor (not a whole lot though). Exhaust smells a little like oil or gas I think. Car seems a little down on power. Do I have a blown head gasket or a head gasket leak? Or do I just have old plugs or too thin oil or something else? 160k miles on car.
Thanks all

sclovehater said:
Hey you guys,
I just bought a '90 SC and it runs ok and holds idle but a tiny bit sputtery. If its been sitting for a day or two it takes a few turns of the key to get it started. Water mixed with oil drips out of tailpipe onto floor (not a whole lot though). Exhaust smells a little like oil or gas I think. Car seems a little down on power. Do I have a blown head gasket or a head gasket leak? Or do I just have old plugs or too thin oil or something else? 160k miles on car.
Thanks all

The best thing to do is assume the worst until you know further, that includes driving the car around. I only say this because you can warp the heads on the engine and it will basically go boom.
Based on your discription, I am thinking you have a head gasket problem. Are you experiencing loss of coolant or loss of boost?
The other thing you can do that I highly recommend, is take your VIN number, and go to a GOOD ford dealership and they can run your VIN in the database and read all of the technicians notes for any repairs done to the car, to see if the head gaskets were done under warranty

Hopefully this helps
-Brian

I suspect the same thing. However mine seems to run fine and will make 10psi boost. What makes me wonder is..... I had coolant trouble, but my low speed fan didnt work, I replaced relays today and will see if that stops it..

But on top of that I think my oil level has gone up,,, From what I have read that is a sign off a head gasket..

Not knowing for sure I may just do it so I will then know for sure that I am good to go!!!

when mine blew there was tons of white smoke and a sweet coolant smell from the tailpipes. to find out if coolant and oil are mixing, crack your oil drain plug a little. The coolant will come out first before the oil starts to come out. Also your coolant will have a brown or milky color to it.

Signs of head gasket failure

There are tell tale signs of when a head gasket is blown.

The engine temperature running a little higher than normal.
The coolant recovery tank will overflow.
The coolant will appear oily or foamy.
Coolant in the oil, grey or brown colored on the dipstick or under the oil fill cap.
Poor idle/vacuum. Cylinder pressure low between cylinders - blown fire ring.

If your cylinder pressure and engine temperatures are good I would replace your PCV valve with a Motorcraft EV-145. The AutoBone PCV valves (Deutch) crap out very quickly for some reason. The Motorcraft valves can be purchased through NAPA.
I would also replace your plugs and wires if they are still stock.
Another thing is check to see if you have any vacuum leaks (idle should be around 18-20Hg).
If your temp is good but you are losing coolant and finding a little trace in the oil you may have a small leak at the timing cover or the intake where it meets the heads.
My car was leaking a little coolant at the front ports of the intake around the timing cover and even into the engine.
The hard starting could be the fuel pump beginning to die off.
A fuel pressure test may tell you if that's the case.
Hope this info helps.
Bill

Back