89 SC Jerking Bad when you floor it

lpfan4life85

Hi, i just bought a 89 SC and when you floor it and the boost gets to around 5-7 PSI the car jerks really bad and wont go any faster...like something is choking the engine. If you drive the car normal and dont floor it, the car runs fine. What could this be? The guy said that he thought it might be the coil pack or the DIS or a clogged cat. I have never seen a SC do this.

Thanks
Josh

first of all change the spark plug wires, especially if they show any wear at all, then pull out a plug, if they look bad change them also, then might as well change the fuel filter, PCV valve etc. If I were to buy another SC I would just change all the sensors as well if you dont know the age, cam,crank and DIS module, so much time is wasted on diagnosing that crap :rolleyes:

vaccum leak?

you should check for vaccum leak if there is only 5-7 lbs boost. maybe the pcv valve hiding under the upper ic tube.

Mine did the same thing when I first got it.... New plugs and wires (all motorcraft) fixed the problem....

The owner said that the cam and crank sensor are fairly new. He did mention that he thought it had a vaccum leak because it idle kinda rough. Ill check the plugs and wires and see what they look like.

Speaking from a personal experience.....when I had a vaccum leak my rpms went up and down when I tried to let the car idle...but with the bad wires and plugs it bucked and kicked bad when I floored it...Just my own .02

Can I change my diagnosis?

I cannot speak from experience, as this has never happened to my SC.....KNOCK on wood....... :D

I have to go with the plugs/plug wires....

Is there an easy way to change the plugs and wires.....lol it looks like a night mear. I did plugs and wires on my 3.8 cougar that i had but never an SC. Also what is the stuff that you put under the DIS so the heat can go away from it. Thanks

the-big-e said:
Pay somebody else to do it........ :D

HA...labor would probably eat me alive. My friend works at a place called Kwik Car and he looked up the labor on it and he said it was gonna be about 2 Hours not including the plugs and wires

There really is no easy way...sorry....one side is easier from the top and the other side is easier from the bottom. But a pain in the arse any way you look at it..

lpfan4life85 said:
HA...labor would probably eat me alive. My friend works at a place called Kwik Car and he looked up the labor on it and he said it was gonna be about 2 Hours not including the plugs and wires
That doesn't sound too bad.....

However, if you want to DIY, then have plenty of band-aids and iodine along with the 800# to Anger Management Services...... :D

Lol...ill have to get a new set of tools....cause i tend to throw them when i get mad....and ill end up breaking somthing else on the SC. What is the part number for the Motorcraft Platinum Spark Plugs.....autozone cant seem to get it right....they said its either Motorcraft 6104 or Motorcraft 4104. Thanks

This is from Jake who was told by XR7Dave and he knows his shhhhhh.... stuff about these cars he's one of the best..use Autolite Part#764 plugs...with the motorcraft OEM wires... ;) ...good luck and what I find works for me is that when you've had enough walk away get a cold drink sit down and take a minute... come talk to us we all have been there we feel your pain....

Could be the damper

My 94 did that. Would run fine if you didn't floor it. But if it got a few pounds of boost it would buck and kick. It was the damper jumping back. Sometimes sicne its two piece damper, part of it slides back rather than just breaking. So you might check that out. If there is a shiny ring all the way around the damper, then you need a new one.

Back