Cruise Control stopped working last night

Scott Long

I have never had a problem with my cruise on this car. Its a 90 SC aod w/ 219,800 miles on it.

I was driving home last night and I went to hit the cruise. It kicked on for 2 seconds, then turned off. It will not work now. Any ideas? Is there a fuse to check or a main control unit that may have failed. I don't know where to even look.

My 92 hasn't had working cruise in years, but my 90 is my daily driver and its a nice feature on the highway. I have to drive to Michigan Sunday and it will be without cruise. Great!!!! Guess my gas mileage won't be consistant.

Look under the dash wayy up on the brake lever and see if the yellow button is in the clip properly. :cool: Its something to check.

Yes. Its designed as a valve that opens up and breaks the vaccuum whenever you step on the brake pedal.

Where is the main control unit, if I can find it, and if its the same on an LX, I might try one from the junk yard. There are no vac leaks on my SC. Trust me, I have done extensive testing on this engine to ensure this.

Its not a leak that I'm referring to. There is a yellow tipped valve up on the back side of the brake lever. Its held against the brake lever by a clip. If it comes loose from the clip, it will prevent the cruise from engaging. This can happen if you've ever done any work under the dash and bumped into it or pulled the brake lever back-n-forth. :cool: The cruise actuator is under the driverside fender. I think you have to take the fender off to get to it, but not sure if it can be reached by just removing the splash shield. :)

TbirdSCFan said:
Brake light circuit doesn't affect the cruise control. :D
When the brake pedal is depressed (when the stop lamp switch is closed), the cruise control is deactivated. The brake dump valve is a mechanical safety backup.

Scott Long said:
Where is the main control unit, if I can find it, and if its the same on an LX, I might try one from the junk yard. There are no vac leaks on my SC. Trust me, I have done extensive testing on this engine to ensure this.
The main control unit is a box mounted above the brake pedal.
Check the 10 amp ACC fuse under the dash.

Back