no reverse in 92 bird automatic

92redbird

I need some opinions, my car was sittin for about a year with a spun bearing. I drove it to the shop recently to get fixed and when I got there I didn't have reverse. Worked perfectly before this. Now I have a new engine, but reverse only works once in a while, and only when the car is cold when it does work. I've already swapped valve bodies with one I knew worked and it didn't help. new filter and fluid too. what else might be wrong? :confused:

There is a rod inside the tranny that attaches to a rocker arm out side the tranny attached to the shifter linkage, this rod goes to the valve body contoling the shift points including reverse. If the nut on the inside the trans connecting this rod to the valve body loosens,that could cause this problem :eek:

new ideas?

that didnt end up bieing the problem, it seems more like a fluid flow problem. it works the first few times after cold startup, but not after a drive a little bit, then for a little bit it will work when I rev up the engine while in reverse, then it drops into gear. of course with a tooth shattering clunk. I put in a transgo shift kit bout a year ago, and I was thinking that maybe one of my piston seals was leaking. Anyone know which one if any is the one that controls reverse? cause I know this same problem can occur in O.D. I had that happen too.

Last edited:
Back