Power steering high pressure line removal

J.D.

SCCoA Member
I did a search and found a number of threads on this subject. One question that kept coming up was how to remove the high pressure line, i.e., how to gain access to the fittings at either end. Astonishingly, no one gave a direct answer. Here's what I did:-

1) Raised the front end of the car. Remember to use the parking brake, wheel chocks and jack stands!

2) Removed the windshield washer reservoir, battery, serpentine belt, coil pack, coil pack bracket, upper IC tube, loosened the nuts at either end of the lower IC tube, removed the IC.

3) Unbolted the alternator and laid it on the battery tray.

4) Disconnected the high pressure line from from steering pump EVO fitting using a stubby wrench.

5) Disconnected the low pressure return line to the steering pump and drained the PS fluid. Disconnect the end that's connected to the steel line on the engine subframe near the oil filter, not the end that connects to the pump reservoir. You'll probably need to replace this return hose as it gets hard with age. The cost is below $4 for a two-foot length of power steering hose (not fuel line hose!).

6) Removed the large bracket for the alternator and steering pump along with the lower IC tube. It's held on to the engine block by three large bolts and to the water pump by two medium size nuts. One bolt is behind the steering pump pulley. You may be able to remove it without taking off the pulley. From the front of the car use a ratchet and suitable elbows and extensions. In my case it wasn't a bolt but a nut on a long stud. I pulled off the power steering pump reservoir from the pump and opened the nut using a box wrench from the driver's side.

7) Disconnected the other end of the high pressure line.

8) Removed the oil filter (may not be necessary).

9) Removed high pressure line.

10) Read the instructions that come with the new replacement line. It has a two piece end fitting at one end that needs to be tightened before installing the line in the car. In addition, the fittings at either end should be lubricated with PS fluid and torqued to no more than 25 ft-lbs. Use the correct white teflon/nylon washers (Ford hardware number 388898-S) at either end and not rubber O-rings.

Don't ask me why the high pressure line runs seemingly needlessly from one side of the car to the other and back as I don't know the answer to that.

Back