Line Locks Revisited

68COUGAR

I was at the NMRA Ford Nationals a couple of weeks ago. I talked with a guy running line locks on his Lightning. He was using a single solenoid & the truck had ABS. Now I remember that everybody here says that we have to use dual solenoids, because our cars have ABS. Hmmmmmm, how can the Lightning guys do it with a single solenoid, when we need 2? He also made a good point that with 2 solenoids, if one should fail (false activation), your car would make an immediate 90 degree turn the 1st. time you applied & released the brakes.

So can somebody explain to me why we think we need 2 solenoids for line locks on our cars? Pro Street Rich? Anybody?

Confused 68COUGAR

Its because we have two separate brake lines that run from the mastercylinder to the front wheels.So you need a lock for each
line.

RANDY

The master cylinder on a Lightning has a single line out for the front and rear that then goes to a splitter. If you put the solenoid before the splitter you can get by with one and it holds pressure to both brakes. Unfortunately the SC/XR-7 system has dual outs from the master cylinder so you need to put one solenoid on each line.

Thanks Guys!!!!

I figured that it had to be something simple like that.

See, even an Old Dog can learn something!!!!!

68COUGAR

I am almost ready to put line locks on mine also. I want to mount them under the fender near where the metal line connects to the flex lines. What type fittings would be needed to cut the metal line, and install the locks there? Can you use compression fittings on the metal lines? What size fittings do these take, sae or metric?

springatfulllowered2.jpg

You can't use compression fittings on brakes. You have to do a double flare which, if you've done them before, they suck to try and do without getting the flare cock-eyed.

What I did is just undo the line, put in a short section of line over to a remote mounted solenoid, then loop back to the flexible line. No splices, no leaks.

The fittings are 10mm metric bubble flare.

Thanks Dave. I guess you used some metric to sae fittings in/out of the lock? Have any pictures?

No pictures, but the LL's have 1/8 NPT threads so you need those adapters to 3/16 brake line, then you'll need 3/16" to 10mm metric adapters at the connection.

Back