Surging at 2500 rpm

rad_al_

Went to Sears this morning to get them to re-do my alignment since they did a sh!tty job the 1st time. On the way back home, my car started surging. I mostly noticed it when taking off from a stop, around 2500 rpm, and about 1/4 - 1/2 throttle. I wasn't even going hard enough to get the boost up, maybe at the most 5 lbs... just felt like it fell on it's face. I'd let off the gas & it was fine, I'd get into it more & it was fine. Right after it happens, my check engine light comes on for about 10 seconds then goes off. At first I thought it had something to do with the rain getting sucked through the cheap cone filter that's behind the fender for the CAI. 2 days ago I installed a C&L 76mm maf & a BBK 70mm throttle body. I double checked with Bill at SuperCouprPerformance to make sure the "yellow" tube was correct for my application. He seems to know his stuff! I have a 94 5-speed & stock 36# injectors.
I did a search & found plenty of "Surging" posts but mostly found things about bad idle problems or vacuum/boost leaks.
If anyone asks if I "ran the codes," I'm going to say I'm stupid when it comes to that, how do I do it, can they do it at AutoZone with their little code scanner thingy?
Thanks.

OK, I bought a code scanner at AutoZone today ($30). I figured since I should have this car a while, it would be a good investment.
...Now if I can learn how to use the damn thing...! :eek:

Read the book! Really. I know it sounds stupid but once you actually plug it in and do it you will be surprised at how easy it is.

Ira

Results are in...

According to the scanner, it shows code 111...
meaning there's not a damn thing wrong with my car.
I guess that's good news and bad news.
hmmm...

For me "surging" is not descriptive enough. To me that describes a variation in rpm up and down that is somewhat smooth. Or, does your car feel like it's cutting in and out, some call it "bucking"? If it's cutting out, look for problems in the DIS (cam sensor, crank sensor, or module). Bad plugs and wires are also a #1 cause of cutting out under boost. Is your harmonic balancer running true and is the center bolt still there? John
P.S. From personal experience DIS problems don't always throw a code.

I just took it for a test drive & it won't do it at all now. I guess you could say it was "bucking" or "falling flat on it's face." It has stopped raining here & I think it may have had something to do with the rain. My CAI is very low, near the holes in the inner fender. I also noticed that usually the cone filter would whistle when I first get on it. This morning when it was raining, it didn't whistle at all. Now it's whistling again. I think I may have gotten some very damp air to my mafs... I hope that's all it is, though I will be checking the other things just to make sure.
Thanks to all!

Back