emissions test

Eric Bryan

I was hoping someone could explain.... My '89 SC passed the emission test with flying colors. The tech was surprised when she blew less than 10% of every standard measurement. What does that mean? Do I have a strong engine or do I have an exceptional catalytic converter? And could I drop the converter and still pass? I see others that have removed theirs, but does this not create problems with warning lights?

Its great that your car passed emissions easily. The SC in stock trim is very clean.

If you plan on modding your car the exhaust needs to be upgraded. Most of us who live in areas where testing is required install high flow cats as part of the exhaust upgrade. Cost you about 100 dollars extra for the high flow cats. I bought mine through Summit.

I would suggest that you do a search on the topic for a myriad of options.

Good luck with your car it sounds like you have a solid car to build on.

I am terrifed I opened Pandora's box though. I brought her back to life after being in storage for 5 years. My ABS is in route to Prior, I bought new 255 45 17s with chromes wheels, replaced some broken trim from a junkyard, and spent another fortune at the dealer's for all the fluids. Some bas*** hit me the other day and took off. Dented her from wheel to wheel on the passenger side. Oh well, she has other dents and needs paint. :( Debating whether I have her re-painted white or change her all together. Unfortunately the rims have no lip, so I have to go to a specialty alignment shop. Wish I was aware of that problem before I spent the cash for her bling, bling. Does anybody know whether Pandora was a babe?

Eric Bryan said:
Does anybody know whether Pandora was a babe?
Well considering that Pandora is a B****, she had to probably be a babe as well. :rolleyes: :D ;)
As for emissions, if you dropped the cats you surely wouldn't pass. The EEC is set up to work with the cats to make the emission levels. However, there are some relatively inexpensive hi performance ones available but the way the 90 cats are set up, replaements require a bit of custom install work. :)

Last edited:
Back