Trans Temp Guage was BLOWING UP!

SilverCasket

Ok. .. Not soo bad. But just past the 210 caused me to overflow out of the dip stick again & start smoking as it landed on the headers. ...

It's the first time I had it out in the warm weather. . It was about 50 miles by the time I noticed it smoking out the hood again. ...

I already have a trans cooler contected to the Lentech. Just dropped a new Lentech converter in yesterday.

Here's the trans cooler ...
TRANS COOLERS
It's the one for $139.99. I also have the one for 159.99, but it's not in the car. ... I'm guessing I have no choice but to swap it out & see? ... Any other thoughts as to why I'm heating up so much? ... I know the 3.73's & non-locking aren't helping, but come on. .. Why the F is it so much of a pain in the azz.

ANthony

A few questions.

Was it heating up stopped, low speeds, or highway cruise? Would diffferent conditions cause a change, or was it just a straight rise to boil-over?

What I'm thinking is that there's not enough airflow through the cooler.

Yeah Dave, that's the only shiitty thing about the AODead's.

Was it heating up stopped, low speeds, or highway cruise? Would diffferent conditions cause a change, or was it just a straight rise to boil-over?

Well, it slowly gets there. .. Hit the 180 range which was cool. .. I usually drive about 60-90 going from my place up north to the one down south. It's only 50 miles, but it's highway cruising for the most part. But at like 70-80 , I'm about 3k rpm's. I didn't do it like 2 months ago or more. Probably because it was nice and cool out. I have the some pics on here, to show where it is. I wouldn't think air flow is the problem. But who the hellll knows at this point.

Anthony

Attachments

• 100_1030.JPG
    100_1030.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 100_1029.JPG
    100_1029.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 88
SilverCasket said:
Yeah Dave, that's the only shiitty thing about the AODead's.

Well, it slowly gets there. .. Hit the 180 range which was cool. .. I usually drive about 60-90 going from my place up north to the one down south. It's only 50 miles, but it's highway cruising for the most part. But at like 70-80 , I'm about 3k rpm's. I didn't do it like 2 months ago or more. Probably because it was nice and cool out. I have the some pics on here, to show where it is. I wouldn't think air flow is the problem. But who the hellll knows at this point.

Anthony

Anthony,

Tube and fin coolers (like you have) are the least efficeint design. You need a rather large Stack Plate style cooler with a fan running continously to keep that transmission cool.

David

Dave, post a link to the one you have. ... And what do you think about the location. .. Should be fine there? No? Constant air & it's in front of everything else. ... If I Swap out coolers, it should be plug & play at this point. Everything is pretty much in place.

Anthony

SilverCasket said:
Dave, post a link to the one you have. ... And what do you think about the location. .. Should be fine there? No? Constant air & it's in front of everything else. ... If I Swap out coolers, it should be plug & play at this point. Everything is pretty much in place.

Anthony

Anthony,

Where you have it now doesn't allow for a fan. Since your car is a 92 you can mount yours in the same place I did (in the fender beneath the battery).

On my 91, I bolted two coolers together (BMM-70264) and made a bunch od brackets and then added an 800 CFM fan. It was pretty involved but works great.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70264/

trannycooler2.jpg

trannycooler3.jpg

transcooler.jpg

On the 93 space was a little tighter so I used one big cooler with a fan and just bolted it to the lower valance with some rubber isolators. I did have to cut a hole, but you can't see it unless your under the car.

I used this cooler and mounted it in about the same location as my 91. It works pretty good but since the fan uses a thermostat switch it doesn't stay as cool as my 91 does. I'm going to wire it to run constantly anter it gets back from the turbo shop. You could also make some mounting brackets and mount it upright similar to how your cooler is mounted now. You just need to leave enough room for the fan (puller).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70298/

Summit part # BMM-70298

David

Last edited:
Back