At the end of my rapidly fraying nerves!!! Please help me!!

SteveSilverSC

Hi everyone out there in SC land,
Recently,my car's tachometer will stop working while driving. The car will run fine, but then when I shut it off the car won't start. The check engine light comes on as well. When I try to crank it, the upshift light doesn't stay on, so I figure it's not the crank sensor. It sounds like the car is really struggling to turn over when I start it. It'll catch eventually, but idles terribly. The engine idles very rough. I tried changing the cam sensor today, but it didn't do anything. I'm gonna switch out the DIS module when I get home from work today, but if that isn't it I have no idea where to look next. I also just changed the spark plugs and wires. I used the Denso Iridium plugs. Please help me out guys, I know I can count on you.
Thanks,
Steve

If the "CE" light comes on try and pull the codes. It may not directly tell you whats wrong but it can help narrow it down.

If the DIS Module change out doesn't fix it get back to us. Make sure you mount it with heat sink grease not dielectric grease. Also install all screws as several form the electrical ground for the module. (The rear two if memory serves.)

Duffy Floyd said:
If the DIS Module change out doesn't fix it get back to us. Make sure you mount it with heat sink grease not dielectric grease. Also install all screws as several form the electrical ground for the module. (The rear two if memory serves.)

Why dont you use dielectric grease?

Heatsink grease conducts heat, dielectric grease insulates against current flow. Dielectric grease is for your spark plug wires. You need to remove heat from the DIS module.

Jeff

I thought dielectric helped current flow and absorb heat :confused: I have started going through all my wiring harnesses to rewrap all the wire bundles as well as clean up all connections. I was applying dielectric grease to all the connectors, is that bad? Do I need to go back and remove it all?

It's an insulator. If it helped current flow it would short out all of your connections in which the grease was touching. It will transfer some heat but not very much at all.

Heatsink compound is used to fill in the gaps between machined surfaces to transfer heat from a device to a heatsink.

Jeff

dielectric = noncunductor of electricity
However, you're supposed to use it on all the connectors in the car to protect the pins against corrosion and keep moisture out of the plugs. When you plug in a connector, the dielectric grease/compound is scraped off from wherever the male and female pins contact each other, allowing an electrical connection. The areas of the pins that do not touch each other will remain covered with dielectric compound.

I think I figured it out...

Ok, I think I've got it. I was a lazy bastard and decided to pay someone else to do my spark plugs, and I will never do that again. The I scanned for codes and got a code 10, so I pulled the boot and checked the plug, and I was able to remove it by twisting the plug out with my pointer and middle fingers! When I get home from work, I'm gonna re-install it and see what happens next. I'll keep you posted...

Back