95' SC 5 speed swap need help & answers

DirtySouthBird

I posted a while back in help w/tranny since I blew apart my 4r70w and broke my half shaft in half.. Well guess what I found.... I found a XR7 Supercharged Cougar in pretty good condition.. Red ext. black int. moon roof and its a 5 SPEED... They will sell me the tranny with everything to do the 5 speed swap for $300 or the whole car for $700. The owner said the motor was knocking.... Should I buy the tranny or should I just get the whole car and fix it... I have a 95' sc and I want to make it a 5 speed if possible.. I was wondering how hard it is to do the swap? Also can any ford dealer ship reflash the computer for the 5 speed? I really need all the info and help..
thanks,
drty

I'd get the parts for the 5spd swap and call it good. The rest of the car is just going to be a headache to you. You will need the tranny, driveshaft, clutch, flywheel, clutch hydraulics, pedals (clutch and brake), clutch switch, shifter plate (with rubber boot), transmission harness and a console cover. Good luck on the console cover, they are extremely rare.

As for the computer, you'll need to get a chip for it or else find a 94/95 5spd computer.

If you are getting all that you might want to get the diff also so you can have traction lock.

id get the whole car if i was you and just have it for parts. The car is worth more in parts then complete. Trust me! You will lose stuff! Just buy the whole car for parts.

So it be best to get the whole 5-speed set-up.. He wanted $300 for everything.. The tranny of the cougar will bolt up to the 95 sc right.. Can I use the computer of the 90' XR7 cougar since its a 5 speed? As far as the computer its kind of hard to find a 5 speed one for 94-95 SC's.. I can't take it to my Ford Dealer ship and have them reflash it or re-program it?? And for the chip part what kind of chip should I get Superchip or Diablo chip?? And can anyone burn it? Theres a local performance shop that does custom tunes, they have a dyno as well.. They are'nt the best but there the only ones down here... I was wondering if might be able to do the burn or if he can download some type of program to do it.. I've heard that they can share programs.. Remember I live like 10min. from Mcallen, look it in the map and you'll see where im at.. I need to get this bad boy out and running or recommend some one that can burn the chip quick and fast.. Also is there some sort of link around here that shows how to do the swap really easy and understanding??
thanks,
drty

yeah you will need the computer from the 5 speed. But you will also have to install the EGR with it. But some have gotten away with deleting the EGR and not having a CEL. But go for it! Yes the transmission will bolt up! Everything will. You will just need the CENTER CONSOLE. as they said before its the hardest to find!

EGR will already be there, all of the 94 - 95 SC had them, auto. or stick.

EEC-IV computers can't be reflashed like EEC-V.

As David mentioned, finding a 94 - 95 manual trans. console lid may prove to be the toughest part of the swap.

cheers
Ed N.

Hate to put a downer on your swap idea, but it's not as easy as you may be hoping. You have to pull the dash part way out of both cars to R&R the pedals. You have to drill the firewall for the clutch master cylinder and mounting bolts, you'll have to rewire the tranny harness (it's not plug-n-play), you'll need a 94 5spd console top - you can't use the auto one unless you hack the crap out of it and it will look like hell, install the pilot bearing, most likely replace the clutch and related parts, and if you don't rebuild the tranny you most likely will be kicking yourself later because the syncros tend to give trouble. And then you either need a 94 5spd EEC or you'll have to get a chip made specifically for the swap. I can do the chip for you, not sure what other chip dealers can do it.

Just want you to know what you are in for. :)

NOt to hijack this thread, but is this swap a easier in the AOD cars, b/s the 4R70W trans, since it isn't electronically shifted? I realize everything else is the same amount of work, but do you still have to splice into anything electrical other than the clutch switch and reverse? I might possibly tackle this in the future if my AOD goes out, as a 5-speed would make the SC a little funner, and I don't want to find another car b/c i will have already rebuilt this engine, and I have already painted the car, etc. Just wonderin,
Nick

Hey XR7 Dave how much would you charge me for the chip to be reburned?

The 5-speed tranny seemed to be in good condition, the car was in really good condition, I think an elder person had the car. Is the shifter going to hit the console top really bad? Which one does the 95' SC have? ( EEX-IV or EEC-V) I only know them as OBD I and OBD II.. Since EEC-IV computers can't be reflashed like EEC-V. I have to options, Either I stay w/ the auto and get a 99' and up Mustang 3.8 4R70W w/ a Marauder TQ Converter, and J-mod.. Or Go w/ the s5-speed. The 5-speed seems cheeper to do.. Also since I broke my drive shaft in half can I use an auto one from like an 89-93 SC? Im really confused I just wanna have the SC out and about.. Also a 5 speed would be really fun.. I forgot to mention im going to install 3.73 gears as well.

Thanks,
Drty

Back