1st performance mod for an SC motor should be?

Pegasus

I have an 89 SC motor in an 89 Mustang and I would like to know what is the most restrictive or horespower robbing component of the SC motor? Is it the MAF, throttle body, blower top, intercooler,etc... I already have a free flowing exhaust, 12% blower pulley, and a fresh-air intake.
Thanks,
Ryan "Pegasus" Riggin

P.S.
Is the 94-95 SC supercharger worth purchasing?

I beleive you have already fixed the most horsepower robbing component in the SC setup. That being our stock, congested exhaust. Other than that, its just mods that will bring you higher and higher.

Well, the exhaust is the best bang for the health for your SC. The pullies are the best bang vs buck, but I thing gears will really impress you on a stock to semi mild SC. Once you start to make tons of tork, then lower gears are more of a bad thing. Any 8.8 rearend gears will work. Most will say no larger then 3.27 for a 5spd and 3.73 for freeway driving auto or 4.10 for non freeway driver.

The heads can be done with bigger valves, a more aggressive cam, ported intake manifold, larger SC top.... The 94/95 blower is a good upgrade, but you can have the early style blower ported to outflow even an S-port 94 blower. If you get a 94/5 blower and have it ported by Magnuson its called an S-model, but Wade Embree can do more impressive work than magnuson themselves.

Check out www.embreemachine.com and look at some of the blowers he has for sale. Also if you really want power, look into a head and cam package.

Upgrading to a 94/5 blower would definitely be worth the effort.

a.jpg

More Power

Magnum Powers has a setup for your Intake that is awesome. They take your SC and Port it - MPII. You then buy there port matched intake plenum and 85mm throttle body. Get a good Chrome intake, either ZR motorsports or one from Magnum Powers. This setup gives a good 70 HP gain, and it gives you a lot more Torque in the top end. Oh yea, if you have an Auto,a shift kit is a good idea at this point so you kind wind out 1st, 2nd and 3rd to take advantage of that high end Torque gain.

Back