A few questions on halfshaft removal.

Sicklybird

Hi,

I have to replace a bad CV boot and have a few questions.

What is the size of that huge nut that's bolted to the shaft through the wheel hub? That nut has to be replaced after I take it off, right? Is Ford the only one that carries them? How much are they?

And any tips at all on removing the halfshaft and replacing the boots would be great!!

Thanks!

A walk through on the half shafts can be found here:
http://www.sccoa.com/articles/halfshaft.php

It's 36mm and available from Ford. Some auto parts places have started to carry them as well.

Getting the stub out of the hub can be tough, use a penetrating oil around there.

And make sure you get the new nut on there at the proper torque. You'll need a bigger torque wrench than most people typically have. You'll want something that maxes out higher that 250 ft/lbs.

Halfshaft

I can't remember the size of the nut, but you absolutely have to replace it and torque it to 250 ft lb. I paid $5. for one at Ford but others may sell them. You have to replace it every time you remove one (front or back) because they are a 3 piece design and break apart on removal. They look good but will not hold propper torque a second time, which causes wheel bearing failure. Good luck

Thanks for the quick replies.

One more question: The manual says there has to be a proper amount of space between the inner and outer boots. I cut my old boot off to match it up at the parts store and I forgot to measue the distance. Does anyone know the right spacing?

Thanks again!

The issue will be due to axle articulation through the full range of motion and the in out motion of the joint.

It's likely old enough that you'll be able to see where it was originally on the shaft. But basically you want to put it on so there is enough flex in the boot to deal with a lot of articulation of the joint, but not so much that it binds.

I've never replaced a wheel bearing yet due to the nut failing :) , if you are really bored one day, re-use the nut and re-check the torque after the first drive after its cooled down, then after several trips then maybe after a month or so, I bet the torue has held. Like how Ford recommends changing the ring gear bolts if you re-use them :confused:

Back