89 fuel pump prob

ZeroRain

well i found a local 89 SC and i wanna here this thing run but i cant because the guy says there is something wrong with the fuel pump or something of the such. also there ecc is sitting on the floor still connected and all im thinking its the wiring to the pump. what do you guys think? is there anyway i can get that pump going so i can hear this sucker run and have a potential test drive

It may be the fuel pump relay located on the left side of the trunk or it could be the inertia switch.

Jeff

with the relay how much does that cost because i dont wanna spend much to see if the thing runs. and i can just reset the switch

You can jump both of them out with a small piece of 16ga wire. Just because you reset the inertia switch dosen't mean the contacts are good(Very rare but can occour). If it's trip[ped then chances are that is the problem.

Jeff

If it's the pump then well, not good. If it's the original pump then chances are it's bad. Mine would stop and start when it wanted to. So I got stuck once about 3 miles from my house. I jumped the relay and was able to get it running enough to get it back to my shop. After that I went and bought a new one dropped the tank and replaced it. Luckily I lnly had about 4-5 gallons in it at the time.

Jeff

i say you check the relay first... i dropped my whole gas tank and found out it was the relay... what a waste of time... of well...

Back