best location for transmission temp probe?

thekidz

Hello all

I am looking for suggestions as to the best location to install a transmission temperature probe

Thanx
Craig

Mine is in the pan too (Lentech cast aluminum). I think the Art Carr AOD pan also comes with a drain port that works well for installing the temp sender.

David

Sorry I should have stated that I have a stock AOD. Would you suggest drilling the pan to put it in?

Thanx
Craig

thekidz said:
Sorry I should have stated that I have a stock AOD. Would you suggest drilling the pan to put it in?

Thanx
Craig

I wouldn't suggest doing that...buy a new pan that already has a drain port, like Lentech or Art Carr.

David

I would just drill the pan and install the temp probe. That would also be a good time to install a drain plug. I have done this quite a few times. Just be sure that you install the probe in a location that will not hit the valvebody.

David Neibert said:
I wouldn't suggest doing that...buy a new pan that already has a drain port, like Lentech or Art Carr.

David

David, so you can substitute a sensor plug for the drain plug?
Thanks,
Chris

Also from TCCoA:
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

If you are thinking about hooking up a Transmission Temperature Gauge to your car you are probably wondering how and where do I hoop up the sensor. Well, there are 2 different ways of doing this:

Most AutoGauge gauges include fittings to either be installed into the pan direct, or to use a temp manifold (like a "T" fitting) that would install into the cooler lines that run to the radiator, this is better than the sump since it is the hottest fluid in the trans. And since fluid life is cut in half for every 25 degrees increase in temp about about 170, it's best to know the hottest fluid.
This aluminum block is sold separate from the gauge, and is designed to work with either 3/8" OD lines(PN 2286) or 5/16"OD lines(PN 2287). The aluminum block has a pipe thread (that's what NPT is) on each end. Into that pipe thread goes a pipe to tube fitting, that's what's in the picture. Then you attach the cooler line to the compression fitting. The sender then threads into the top of the block.

You have 5/16" cooler lines, so you'd need the 5/16" kit.

Otherwise, you will need to drop the pan, drill and weld a bung into it for the sender to thread into

David, so you can substitute a sensor plug for the drain plug?

Yes (using a reducer bushing 3/8" NPT male X 1/4" NPT female)...that's what I did on my 91. The Lentech transmission I bought last year for the 93 has two drains in the pan (side by side), so I used one for the temp sensor.

David

Last edited:
Thanx for all the info.
I think that is where I'll put it in the tranny line. Right at the tranny would be the hottest spot. Does anyone know which is the pressure side and which is the return?

Thanx again
Craig

My AOD had a plug installed at about mid point up on the driver's side of the housing. The Autometer temp guage came with the proper size threaded probe.

The original plug blocked off a fuild gallery so the probe sticks right into the circulating fluid. So far it's been accurate.

lrsudog said:
My AOD had a plug installed at about mid point up on the driver's side of the housing. The Autometer temp guage came with the proper size threaded probe.

The original plug blocked off a fuild gallery so the probe sticks right into the circulating fluid. So far it's been accurate.

Im with him...thats exactly what Im going to do for now. Ive read of several people who have done that with satisfactory accuracy. However, in the future (whenever that might be) im going to get the deeper pan with both holes in it. Deeper pan is always good.

David Neibert said:
Yes (using a reducer bushing 3/8" NPT male X 1/4" NPT female)...that's what I did on my 91. The Lentech transmission I bought last year for the 93 has two drains in the pan (side by side), so I used one for the temp sensor.

David

Dave...i was curious about your Lentech pan. is this a deeper pan or a regular-size pan with cooling fins and drain/sensor ports? I was looking at the B&M, and thats a deep pan (three extra quarts i think) and it looks huge! I went to the lentech website and the pan doesnt seem as big as teh B&M but I like the fact that it has two openings. I was wondering what u can tell me about this. Thanx! :D

Lentech:
castpan.jpg

B&M:
39_full.jpg

Back