What are these three relays for?...pic inside..

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Just wondering what the three relays in the passinger's side firewall are for. I know one is for the ABS pump, but what are the other two for? The reason that im asking is because one of them, the one closest to the passanger's side fender, was not attached to any electrical conection. Since the relay was not being used, i removed it a while ago, but now im curious as to what it does. The car is an 89, auto, all options except sunroof. I attached a pic that i took of the three relays to show what i'm talking about. The black relay in the middle is the ABS pump relay...i dont know why I didnt get the typical brown one, but this one works just fine.

Attachments

• mvc-028s.jpg
    mvc-028s.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 2,964
On the 89 - 92 cars, there are usually two relays side-by-side in that location, one is the ABS system power relay (OE relay would probably be green and black), and the ABS pump motor relay (brown and black). Many of the Ford relays have had superceded numbers issued that are all black, no colour codes any more. I'm not sure what that third one was that you removed, could be a WOT A/C cutoff as Manny said, do you still have the relay, and if so, does it have a Ford stamping # on it ?

My SC is a 95, so it doesn't have the same set-up underhood as yours, otherwise I'd go out in the driveway and pop the hood on mine to investigate.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

According to my '89 Ford E&VTSM, Component Location View, the one on the right in the pic is the "anti-lock power relay", next left is "hydraulic pump motor relay" and far left should be "WOT A/C cutout relay".

My far left one's missing too. I'm the original owner and I don't remember removing it. ???? Maybe the A/C cutout relay is in the IRCM with other A/C clutch controls.

Hey guys, I still have the relay that I removed. It does have some numbers on it and they are :
"E3TB"
"13A05"
"A2A"

Then there is another stamp sort of engraved into the relay, but I cant tell what they are. Perhaps there is a way to test to see if the other relay in there is for WOT A/C cut off, or for ABS Power relay.... it has to be one of those since the ABS pump relay is definatelly there, and then we can know which one is not there. Well, here are a coupe of pix of the relay that I removed...

Attachments

• mvc-040s.jpg
    mvc-040s.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 2,789
13A025 is the relay asssy for "anti-lock power relay"
2C013 is for "hydraulic pump motor relay"
13A025 is for "WOT A/C cutout relay"

Note that the 13A025 is used for 1st & 3rd relays.

HTH...

John is correct from what I can see listed on the parts catalogue microfiche ... the E3TB 13A025 A2A relay was used in two positions on the 89 and 90 cars, one for the WOT A/C clutch cutout, and for ABS power relay.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

so basically, this relay really had to be there, but why isnt there a connection to it? Its confusing now because several people in this thread have reported to also only having 2 relays...whats up with that?

As was posted

According to my '89 Ford E&VTSM, Component Location View, the one on the right in the pic is the "anti-lock power relay", next left is "hydraulic pump motor relay" and far left should be "WOT A/C cutout relay".

That relay is for the A/C cutout relay. This relay, if installed and hooked up will disengauge the A/C compressor clutch when the car is at WOT to reduce parasitic drag and give you a bit more oompff.

It is not required and nothing negatively will happen to the car if it is missing.

oooh, ok...so now that i know that nothing negative can come from not having this relay hooked up, i wonder....just in case...is there a way to hook it up and make the relay funtional?

Unless my mind has completely left me my '89 has 3 devices in that location, two are definately relays and the third has two vacuum connectors so I thought it was some sort of solenoid.

hhmmm......thats weird....can you post any pix, or can you get any numbers off of that device? Have u seen where those vacuum hoses go to?....GEEESH, This gets weird and weird as we go.

The device with vacuum lines, is your MAP sensor, or Barometric Pressure sensor... i have no idea what it does... but thats what its called. If its what i think it is.

EDIT: now noticing this thread is 3 years old... =\

Are These Near The Cowl.......

Matt SC ESC said:
The device with vacuum lines, is your MAP sensor, or Barometric Pressure sensor... i have no idea what it does... but thats what its called. If its what i think it is.

EDIT: now noticing this thread is 3 years old... =\
ON THE PASS.SIDE?????????????? :cool:

Back