choosing a torque converter for 98' stang tranny

Thomas95SC

I recently had a 98' Mustang tranny core rebuild for my SC. I need to pick out a TC. Now, the guy that rebuilt the tranny said that I should get one that has a 3000-3200 stall locking converter. After doing some research, I found that stall speed maybe good for a N/A motor but since our cars have alot of low end, maybe i should look at a 2500-2800. I also heard that it should lock about 700 rpm before peak torque? So maybe I need to wait until my engine has had a few dyno pulls before picking a specific stall speed :confused:? Also, would the art carr tranny pan fit my new one? I have a 24,000 B&M tranny cooler for it, should I get a bigger one? I plan to run the cooler lines through one of Mike's rads and then through the outer cooler. What do yall think?

Well stall wise the converter that came with the tranny would be about 2500 and just about perfect for these cars. As far as reliability goes it is as good as about any other stock converter. To use it just get a markVIII flexplate and put on your sc (do not use on N/A cars)
Alan

Well then either buy a Marauder converter or get a custom converter for the vehicle. Flexplate is sometimes called flywheel (altho techinically a flywheel is a clutch surface)
Alan

Dirtyd0g said:
Well stall wise the converter that came with the tranny would be about 2500 and just about perfect for these cars. As far as reliability goes it is as good as about any other stock converter. To use it just get a markVIII flexplate and put on your sc (do not use on N/A cars)
Alan

Is that a zero balance flexplate? The flexplate is the link between the TC and the crankshaft. It also has the teeth for the starter.

Jeff

J57ltr said:
Is that a zero balance flexplate? The flexplate is the link between the TC and the crankshaft. It also has the teeth for the starter.

Jeff

Yes the markVIII flexplate has the correct starter ring,6 bolt pattern ans is zero balance. It will not work on NA motors until 2001 I think but the SC motors are neutral balance so it works :)

You don't want my opinion of PI, If you do decide to buy a PI get the triple disc. I build these converters if you want more information PM me.
Alan

Back