PDA

View Full Version : Problem after problem...Long story

05-15-2005, 11:52 PM
So after thinking it was my headgaskets that failed...I started pulling off the upper intake and all that good stuff. I notice the BAP, MAP, whatever the hell it is, no, it was the EGR pressure sensor...some BS like that was cracked and the nipple for the vaccuum tube was broke.

I go to AutoZone, didn't have it...I had to go to Advance :o and buy it from them. I said screw it and picked up new belts...I go back to my SC, Low-and-behold the return for the coolant line going through the Throttle body basically cracked and ripped off. No wonder I was leaking coolant like crazy. I go back to Advance since they are right down the street from where I am working on my car. Pick up some 3/8" heater hose and hose clamps.

I go back. A buddy of mine calls up and asks if I need any help...not the one to turn down free help, "Sure come on out." We get the EGR back in, the Supercharger and all that crap. We drink some beer, dick around with some other things. Coolant is all over the floor. We bring it up, put a worm clamp on the lower rad hose, stops leaking. Cool!

Drink some more, realize that we might want to start it up before we call it a night. Victoria starts right up. Purrs like a Lion.

Now the Tach starts jumping around and drops to 0, comes back up to idle. Crap, now I need a Cam Sensor. Ok, ok...I can deal with that...It's got a few miles on it. No problem. I back it out, little bit of a problem with the tach jumping everywhere, it dies once. Not because of the driver, it just died. I start it right back up. I really just wanted to get the bitch out of my friends' shop.

All of a sudden it backfires, and the guy offering me free help screams,"FIRE!" I thought he was playing. He then screams,"FIRE, OPEN THE POP THE DAMN HOOD! WE NEED A FIRE EXTINGUSHER(sp?)." I pop the hood and start running to get something to put it out. He was using water from the puddles on the ground to try, my other friend runs out with the extingusher, puts the flame out. In the middle of this, I was about to cry. After all this hard work, busted knuckles, and sweat. I was going to lose it to a fire. I thought I was going to destroy it.

We disconnect the battery, push it back into the shop, do a quick look over and notice the passenger side injectors blew their O-Rings and leaked EVERYWHERE! No hoses damaged, that we could see, or wires, that we could see. I'm going to take it apart, AGAIN, tomorrow, O-Ring all the injectors, AGAIN, replace the Cam sensor, and see how she runs.

Wish me luck!

Stephen

getblown
05-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Uh oh... fire not good... hope your luck gets better :)

jOe

GREATWHITE666
05-16-2005, 08:28 PM
i had a 90 N/A t bird for a few years and the alternator blew up in traffic and was burning. i ended up putting it out with dirt i could find on the side of the road. the day after that, i bought a little fire extinguisher for the car, and have had it ever since. it's now in the back of my SC. havent ever used it, but i never travelled without one since that day. only 20 bucks

sorry to hear about your car though, I would break down in tears myself if i had put that much work into it and that happens. but try to look at the brighter side. The car is telling you everything that's wrong with it at once so u can fix it all together. best of luck-- be sure to breathe
damon

05-17-2005, 12:42 AM
The fire didnt do any real damage...thankfully. It burnt up the cowl, thats it. I thought the car was done.

Buddy of mine and I went through re-ringed the injectors. Found out 2 of them were bad, replaced them, and all was well. Put everything back together, crossed my fingers as I started her up. Back to purring like a Lion again. My friend that owns the shop was like, "Damn! It never sounded like this when I first met you. It was missing and smoking! That Motherjumper(not jumper, but you get the point) sounds mean as hell!" I was happy as all heck. I took my buddies out to eat, and guess what car I was driving.

Stephen

GREATWHITE666
05-17-2005, 12:59 AM
awesome man, just awesome. these cars love us all.... but they are certainly not afraid to tell us when something is wrong...
congrats go drive it!
Damon

05-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Starting a fire definately isn't the way to tell me something is wrong with her...why couldn't she just bitch and moan like some of the REAL women I know? :D

I noticed a slight misfire, when I was driving her though...Nothing bad. I think one of the plug wire might've gotten burned a little deeper than I noticed. I'll have to pick up some new 8.5MM Autolite's the next time I go to Advance. She doesn't miss when I push into her hard, so it might not be that bad.

Stephen

Michael Mattix
05-17-2005, 06:33 AM
I love stories with a happy ending :D !!!

Toxic281
05-26-2005, 11:30 PM
Starting a fire definately isn't the way to tell me something is wrong with her...why couldn't she just bitch and moan like some of the REAL women I know? :D

I noticed a slight misfire, when I was driving her though...Nothing bad. I think one of the plug wire might've gotten burned a little deeper than I noticed. I'll have to pick up some new 8.5MM Autolite's the next time I go to Advance. She doesn't miss when I push into her hard, so it might not be that bad.

Stephen
hey stephen!
you make it to florida ok?
remember what i told ya about the old ppl right? :)