does octane in gas decrease with time?

bigcletus94

My girlfriend's dad was telling me that octane in gas decreases with time and the gas gets bad. Is this correct? The gas in my SC is about 6 months old and has a full tank. If he is correct, that could be why my motor doesn't want to run right. It will run if I give it gas after it starts, but it runs horribly and is not drivable. If I don't give it any gas, it just dies every time. Bad gas?

i agree started my uncles old camaro just for kicks didnt want to start my dad said it was the gas so i put fresh gas into the carb started for a few secs gaqs was over 3 years old

i don't think it's your gas mine is a few months old i have been working on my sc for a month and 1/2 and my car did the same thing my vac guage said 20 but right after starting the car would die even moving around it would stall. keep the car running and literally "mash the gas" when you get it on the road after doing this for a few miles it runs great again.

Gas blues

The old gas would last for about a year or so, but if you live in one of the places that uses that reformated stuff,well that is a whole new game. The life on that stuff is about 90 days from the date it is made.After that time it will lose a good part of it's punch and you will get running headacks. But what you are talking about does not sound like a gas only problum. You will have to look more or see if you get any codes. Good luck and keep the faith...Rich

Back