3" midpipe for 89/91 - *pics - interest?

tbird88

Been gettin' calls that mention the lack of shops that actually have dies for doin' 3" pipe bending. Is it that uncommon in your area? Took an informal poll around southeast Texas and it seems about 2/3 of the shops here do NOT have 3" dies. Thought that was pretty odd, seems with all the Cowboy Cadillacs here that every shop worth its salt would have 'em but guess not. Heck, can't go 30 minutes around here without seeing/hearing some pickup passin' by with a smallblock Chevy or Ford with 3" exhaust...WHAAAAAWHAAAAAAAAAAABLAAAAAAAAAAAAAP...
go figure.

midpipe7868.jpg

Anyhooz, messed around and got it pretty close. Here's a midpipe for those less fortunate ones that don't have access to a 3" bender. Yep, done on a muffler machine etc etc, ends are left random for tweaking to fit any particular setup.

Cost is around $75

suggestions?

'bird

Last edited:
BT Motorsports said:
Just one, how about for a late style tank as well ;) I know of one person that would be right on a late style piece here in SoCal.

Paul
This is the only decent pic I have of my previous setup.

lolaexh2048.jpg

Sonicman bought it and I installed it under his '94 auto, worked out great. Only catch would be is where someone would want the split at for the mufflers. I could leave that end random like the early version. Price on the late version would be somewhat less than the early.
One thing I really like about mine now is the 3-bolt flange at the rear of the resonator. Makes for no-hassle removal, such as when your 5spd decides to lock itself in reverse... :mad:

'bird

That looks great! Out here I have no problem finding a shop to bend 3 or for that matter 3.5 pipe ,go figure us yankees got all the luck!!! :D :D :D Thats a real reasonable price to I paid $80 for my midpipe to be bent up so I say that right inline with going rates.I have bought some small parts from you and it's always been very reasonable and high quality!!!

tbird88 said:
This is the only decent pic I have of my previous setup.

lolaexh2048.jpg

Sonicman bought it and I installed it under his '94 auto, worked out great. Only catch would be is where someone would want the split at for the mufflers. I could leave that end random like the early version. Price on the late version would be somewhat less than the early.
One thing I really like about mine now is the 3-bolt flange at the rear of the resonator. Makes for no-hassle removal, such as when your 5spd decides to lock itself in reverse... :mad:

'bird
hey i just got back from the exhaust shop, they told me they couldn't bend that 3 inch section. Is there any way u could bend that exact same system in that picture and i could buy it off of you? no one will do it here :( and i really would like a 2.5 into 3 back into 2.5 setup. Let me know!

darriantbird said:
That looks great! Out here I have no problem finding a shop to bend 3 or for that matter 3.5 pipe ,go figure us yankees got all the luck!!! :D :D :D Thats a real reasonable price to I paid $80 for my midpipe to be bent up so I say that right inline with going rates.I have bought some small parts from you and it's always been very reasonable and high quality!!!
Hey, appreciate the compliment!

'bird

LightEMup said:
hey i just got back from the exhaust shop, they told me they couldn't bend that 3 inch section. Is there any way u could bend that exact same system in that picture and i could buy it off of you? no one will do it here :( and i really would like a 2.5 into 3 back into 2.5 setup. Let me know!
Be happy to work with ya on what you need, not sure what you mean by 2.5-3-2.5 though. You lookin' for 2-1/2" dragpipes? Can't help ya there, only thing I do is 2.25 because that's the largest that will physically bolt up to factory manifolds.
Only other way to do it is to build the dragpipes out've 2.5 and then swedge the ends down to 2.25, then flare them as usual...that what you're after?

'bird

That may be a good Idea..Make a 2.5 inch downpipe. Start off at 2.25 then flareout..Id still liek to see a 3.5 inch mid pipe for 94-95 sc:O)

Can you manderal bend them as well? I realize it is a minute item but if your gonna bend 3 or 3.5" then why not get the best of it? If not then I would probably still be in for at least one late model one.

Chris

seawalkersee said:
Can you manderal bend them as well? I realize it is a minute item but if your gonna bend 3 or 3.5" then why not get the best of it? If not then I would probably still be in for at least one late model one.

Chris
Nope, can't mandrel bend anything because of cost etc. As far as a compression bent 3" midsection for late models, I can handle that. However, I put together the mandrel pipe that's on my car now with an assortment of 45's & 90's.

We're goin' up to the Texas Meet at the Lake in the mornin', hopefully I can get some opinions from other about how my car sounds now.

'bird

How much does it cost for the manderal bend? If you have it on yours, what is the perfromance gained by that? Is it even measureable?

Wish I was goin to the lake in Texas...I would show you good music. Not SRV :D

Chris

Manderel bending will only marginally at best make a differance a good compression bend should give plenty of flow :p

tbird88 said:
Be happy to work with ya on what you need, not sure what you mean by 2.5-3-2.5 though. You lookin' for 2-1/2" dragpipes? Can't help ya there, only thing I do is 2.25 because that's the largest that will physically bolt up to factory manifolds.
Only other way to do it is to build the dragpipes out've 2.5 and then swedge the ends down to 2.25, then flare them as usual...that what you're after?

'bird
well i didn't know that u couldn't put 2.5's off the manifolds....i guess i'm lookin for somthin that i could get and bolt up to my 89, its a street car so i don't need anything extreme, but that system in that picture would be awsome! 2.25 off the stock manifolds, and no cats, just 2.25 inch pipes into a magnaflow, then 3 inch into a y pipe and back out into 2.5 into 2 mufflers.....i think that's the same setup in that picture.....i would very much so be interested if you could do that for me, my email is wutangmunkyfu@yahoo.com or just PM me :) u got me all excited now! lol

seawalkersee said:
How much does it cost for the manderal bend? If you have it on yours, what is the perfromance gained by that? Is it even measureable?

Wish I was goin to the lake in Texas...I would show you good music. Not SRV :D

Chris
Burned out from the trip to the lake...WHOA what a cruise!

Probably not measurable on a somewhat stock engine like mine, guess I just did it to do it. Don't remember the exact cost of all the bends involved, here's a list of parts, see pic below for reference.

three 3" 45's
single 3" x dual 2.5" Y-pipe
three 2.5" 45's
four 2.5" 90's

Here it is put together, it's on my car now:
lolaexh2148.jpg

Focus took Lola for a stroll around the park, her exhaust tone sounded pretty good, gonna leave the system just like it is.

umm...not SRV?

'bird

Wynn, I need...

Wynn, you still have the IC gasket sets???? I really need about 4 of them (sets that is, for the guys at the NJTACC), and need to know if they are still available.

Thanks in advance,

Don

Back