I think IT just happened?

rzibilske77

I get in the ol' bird this morning to head to the autoparts store for a few items, its only about 2 miles from the house and as i pull in the parking lot i happened to look at the temp gauge as it was pushing the red line...WTF.
So I get my parts make it back home and figure i'll check the fluids(oil), thinking hg's coulda did the EXPECTED, the oil was actually kinda low as it was time for a change anyhow.
It looked fine, smelt fine so i pop the oil refill cap...... :mad: :mad: :mad: S.O.B, cream color residue all up in the cap...so looks like they blew...right guys? Symptoms very fast overheating, cream color crap in oil cap.
My bird is a 35th with 94k so sounds very possible to me, and also in the last few weeks i had been seeing little pieces of material when i pop the radiator cap off. :mad:

Now who wants to help...lol :D
Rick..Chris

Thanks guys for now i am gonna go thru hell!!!
Robert

Don't jump to conclusions....

Drain the oil and check for coolant in the drain pan. A little bit of gunk around the fill tube doesn't necessarily mean headgaskets, neither does sudden overheating. Check to see if the fan is kicking on, and also check for a stuck thermostat. It may be headgaskets, but check all other possibilities first. Did you get a bunch of white steamy exhaust out of the tailpipes? Have you noticed any recent loss of performance?

No smoke, no leaking out of tail pipes, performance wise besides a lil bucking on wot normally all seems ok.

LJGriggs said:
Drain the oil and check for coolant in the drain pan. A little bit of gunk around the fill tube doesn't necessarily mean headgaskets, neither does sudden overheating. Check to see if the fan is kicking on, and also check for a stuck thermostat. It may be headgaskets, but check all other possibilities first. Did you get a bunch of white steamy exhaust out of the tailpipes? Have you noticed any recent loss of performance?

rzibilske77 said:
so what is all i am going to need in my replacement kit??.....besides hands of steel and patience :rolleyes:

Autozone sells a Felpro upper gasket set that includes all the gaskets you will need for about $150.

In addition to a good assortment of tools including a click type torque wrench, you will also need new head bolts or studs, a Haynes or similar shop manual, a tube of Copper RTV orange, tube of Black RTV and a can of Copper spray, two gallons of coolant, motor oil and a filter.

I would highly reccomend doing a basic valve job and decking the heads while they are off.

David

basic valve job?? whats that consist of?

Griggs i hope ur right!! :)

David Neibert said:
Autozone sells a Felpro upper gasket set that includes all the gaskets you will need for about $150.

In addition to a good assortment of tools including a click type torque wrench, you will also need new head bolts or studs, a Haynes or similar shop manual, a tube of Copper RTV orange, tube of Black RTV and a can of Copper spray, two gallons of coolant, motor oil and a filter.

I would highly reccomend doing a basic valve job and decking the heads while they are off.

David

just changed the oil, no water/coolant at all..no bubbles just good ol' black crude :)
Maybe thermostat?
I drove to walmart just to buy the cheap oil & again i could literally watch the temp gauge rise to near "H" red line, but the fan would be on & keep it from doing a boil over. I noticed the idles roughly now..not as smooth.

any ideas...is it still possibility that its the hg's
My overflow tank was full to the brim when i got back home and motor hot as hell, i changed the oil in like 5 minutes to not only notice that it had went back down, but even the radiator was cold to the touch...i popped the radiator cap with no steam or even warmth, seems kinda weird to me that it went from almost boil over to pop the radiator cap in 5 minutes...maybe this more info could help one of u guys diagonose my problem

LJGriggs said:

Thermostat could be the problem......

I had a similar problem with my Galaxie and it would over heat very quickly.....

When I took the thermostat out, it looked normal......

I dropped it a pot of hot water and it didn't open......

I took it out and the bridge that holds the thermostat close was broken...... :eek:

As the element in the thermostat would heat up and press against the spring, it would just push the bridge out and the thermostat would not open....

How hard is it to pull out, i had bought one awile back and have never installed it.
Also to the car is having a hella time cranking...is this the cam or crank sensor and locations of these?

the-big-e said:
Thermostat could be the problem......

I had a similar problem with my Galaxie and it would over heat very quickly.....

When I took the thermostat out, it looked normal......

I dropped it a pot of hot water and it didn't open......

I took it out and the bridge that holds the thermostat close was broken...... :eek:

As the element in the thermostat would heat up and press against the spring, it would just push the bridge out and the thermostat would not open....

rzibilske77 said:
just changed the oil, no water/coolant at all..no bubbles just good ol' black crude :)
Maybe thermostat?
I drove to walmart just to buy the cheap oil & again i could literally watch the temp gauge rise to near "H" red line, but the fan would be on & keep it from doing a boil over. I noticed the idles roughly now..not as smooth.

any ideas...is it still possibility that its the hg's
My overflow tank was full to the brim when i got back home and motor hot as hell, i changed the oil in like 5 minutes to not only notice that it had went back down, but even the radiator was cold to the touch...i popped the radiator cap with no steam or even warmth, seems kinda weird to me that it went from almost boil over to pop the radiator cap in 5 minutes...maybe this more info could help one of u guys diagonose my problem

Sounds like head gaskets to me. The temp gauge reads eratic because of the air pockets being created from combustion gases being pushed into your cooling system. That is also why your coolant resivour if filled to the top.

When the motor is shut off, then the coolant goes into the cylinder that's leaking. If too much coolant gets into the cylinder, you can bend the rods just cranking the motor over.

Most head gasket failures don't leak coolant into the oil.

David

gaskets it is!!!!!!

well theres no more guessing, DAVID you are the winner :rolleyes:
Just go back from autozone, i went there to pic up a fuel filter, pcv valve and cam sensor as i had symptoms hard starting, tach jumpy etc.
anyways pulling into my neighborhood, the bird gets jittery and loosing mass power, i make it to the driveway :) barely.......THEN i look in my mirror and man holy SMOKES..white steam billowing out my dual pipes......FAWK!!!! :mad:

David Neibert said:
Sounds like head gaskets to me. The temp gauge reads eratic because of the air pockets being created from combustion gases being pushed into your cooling system. That is also why your coolant resivour if filled to the top.

When the motor is shut off, then the coolant goes into the cylinder that's leaking. If too much coolant gets into the cylinder, you can bend the rods just cranking the motor over.

Most head gasket failures don't leak coolant into the oil.

David

I hope you didn't get coolant in the oil by continuing to drive it. You might be looking at a complete rebuild if you got coolant in the lower engine parts. Good luck with it.

When mine blew, I drove it about 15 miles after that and all I did was head gaskets, head work and it's held up so far. Maybe you'll get lucky too. :)

If the parts store is just a few miles from your house, you might get by with just the upper rebuild, unless you want to go all the way with it. :cool:

NCredSC said:
all I did was head gaskets, head work and it's held up so far.
..................../QUOTE]
What does the 'head work' involve? Is this something I can do or does it require a professional? Can I ship the heads to a shop? Does any SCCoA member do this work? Does the engine block surface need to be machined? My HGs haven't blown but I don't want to push my luck.

J.D. said:
NCredSC said:
all I did was head gaskets, head work and it's held up so far.
..................../QUOTE]
What does the 'head work' involve? Is this something I can do or does it require a professional? Can I ship the heads to a shop? Does any SCCoA member do this work? Does the engine block surface need to be machined? My HGs haven't blown but I don't want to push my luck.

I had them cleaned, pressure tested, shaved and had new valve seals put in. Most auto machine shops can do the work. You can have the block machined too I think, but I don't think it's as needed as having the heads done. The heads are more likely to warp than the block is.

Just called my mech........estimate for others 689.00+parts
for me 450.00 & i get parts..what ya think about that.....ouch but could be a lot worse :)

I wanna get this done asap...like tomorrow...i don't like the idea of water/coolant being places it shouldn't.
my question is i know i can get the fel-pro gasket sets at local auto part stores...what about the arp bolts??

Last edited:
fel-pro set 115.00
labor 450.00
arp bolts ???
---------------
= not bad

rzibilske77 said:
for me 450.00 & i get parts..what ya think about that.....ouch but could be a lot worse :)

I wanna get this done asap...like tomorrow...i don't like the idea of water/coolant being places it shouldn't.
my question is i know i can get the fel-pro gasket sets at local auto part stores...what about the arp bolts??

Anyone know where i can get ARP head bolts asap...like any auto supply where i can pick em up?

rzibilske77 said:

Back