oil leak

KaoticKreationz

ok lets see if anyone can help me out with this one. There is a good amount of oil leaking form my 91 SC, not pouring but steady drips. It only leaks when the car is running. I put the car on a set of ramps today hoping to see where its leaking from. There was oil every where so I cleaned everying thing up as best as I could but I still cant see exactly where its coming from because the origin of the leak doesnt seem to be visible without taking stuff apart. Its coming form the drivers side of the engine and as far as I can tell its dripping down the power steering lines. There are two lines that run down the drivers side to the front of the car and the oil seems to be trailing down the upper of the two lines. Something new every week with this thing, I just had to change my radiator, and I still have a tranny problem to worry about because my car slips when going into second (but another issue for another day). Anyway, any idea on the leak?

KaoticKreationz said:
ok lets see if anyone can help me out with this one. There is a good amount of oil leaking form my 91 SC, not pouring but steady drips. It only leaks when the car is running. I put the car on a set of ramps today hoping to see where its leaking from. There was oil every where so I cleaned everying thing up as best as I could but I still cant see exactly where its coming from because the origin of the leak doesnt seem to be visible without taking stuff apart. Its coming form the drivers side of the engine and as far as I can tell its dripping down the power steering lines. There are two lines that run down the drivers side to the front of the car and the oil seems to be trailing down the upper of the two lines. Something new every week with this thing, I just had to change my radiator, and I still have a tranny problem to worry about because my car slips when going into second (but another issue for another day). Anyway, any idea on the leak?

In the area your describing it could be several things.

Best case: The oil pressure sender or oil filter is leaking. Less likely but still possible, the oil cooler has sprung a leak, it's the part that the oil filter attaches to.

Worst case: Your motor mounts are collapsed allowing the oil pan to rub on the power steering lines, which after a while can rub a hole thru the oil pan or the power steering hoses.

I'm sure that's why J.D. asked what color the fluid was.

David

David Neibert said:
In the area your describing it could be several things.

Best case: The oil pressure sender or oil filter is leaking. Less likely but still possible, the oil cooler has sprung a leak, it's the part that the oil filter attaches to.

Worst case: Your motor mounts are collapsed allowing the oil pan to rub on the power steering lines, which after a while can rub a hole thru the oil pan or the power steering hoses.

I'm sure that's why J.D. asked what color the fluid was.

David

I agree. The power steering fluid can be dark like oil if it is old and dirty so it maybe hard to tell which is which. Check your motor mounts and see if they have collapsed.

Last edited:
Frothy power steering fluid in the reservoir is a sign of a leak as air is entering the system. Another sign is a noisy PS pump, even if it is new/good.

OK well the fluid is dark like oil but now that u mention it, it could be dirty old power steering fluid, im gonna drain it and put some fresh fluid in there and see what color leaks out. Thanks for advice guys, ill let u know what happens.

KaoticKreationz said:
ok, it was power steering fluid, not oil. good call guys. still cant tell where its leaking form, whats next?

Take it to a do it yourself carwash and spray the area off with soapy water to clean it up a little. Then you should be able to jack it up and determine exactly where the leak is coming from.

Until you know that, there isn't much more we can help with.

David

Back