grinding SC noise

ebodycab

my 90 SC makes grinding noise from engine when idling...if rpm's go up a bit,noise disappears..hard to pinpoint where its coming from,I think it is from supercharger..or could it be the alternator?...has anyone else had these symptoms...? it sounds like a bearing noise to me...thanks

ebodycab said:
my 90 SC makes grinding noise from engine when idling...if rpm's go up a bit,noise disappears..hard to pinpoint where its coming from,I think it is from supercharger..or could it be the alternator?...has anyone else had these symptoms...? it sounds like a bearing noise to me...thanks

yeah that would be the bearings in the blower going to check it i would pull off your top and check your blades to see if the are rubbing and if they are i would not drive it until u get a new one because if the blower blades go well there goes your motor just advice i hope this helps u later

One thing that you might want to look into would be to see if the supercharger needs fluid or not. Adding some fluid might make it last a little longer while you look for a replacement supercharger.

Shane

I took the supercharger belt off today and no more noise...so it is not the alternator..SC belt tensioner seems to be a little wobbly,could it be just this one?..could not feel any play on supercharger pulley.....checked the SC fluid level,has plenty of it in there....thanks!!!

You need all new bearings for the snout and while you are at it get some needle bearings too. You can contact Tbird88 for the parts. If you don't feel comfortable using a press to put the bearings on buy a low mileage or already rebuilt blower.

SCPerfromance has port style blowers for around $1000 or you can get a rebuilt early style blower from magnuson for around $1000.

Jerry

Back