Car's running, but loss of power......

CMac89

I got the car running again, seems as if the DIS module I was running was bad, so I got my stock one, put it back on, and all was better.

I'm really down on power though because it wont even spin the tires in first gear and the motor wont rev past 5000rpm under WOT. Could it still be the DIS module? Before I started having problems I could notice a pretty decent gain with ported stock valve heads and a cam over stock.

I was thinking of pulling the intake manifold and valve covers off to check everything, but the car runs and drives fine when you're not pounding on it, then you floor it and it doesn't have any power.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated because i'm trying to get this thing running good so I can tune it and get dyno numbers.

on mine the harmonic balancer was broke and it had loss of power and revved slow

Last edited:
I wouldn't get too drastic with it yet. For now I'd try to get an AF reading before you hit on it too much. All you really need is one pull on a dyno and I will be able to not only tell you what it going on but fix it for you.

There aren't any wierd smells and there isn't any wobble or anything from the balancer, the bolts still there.

I was thinking that too Dave. A dyno tune would be nice.

CMac89 said:
There aren't any wierd smells and there isn't any wobble or anything from the balancer, the bolts still there.

I was thinking that too Dave. A dyno tune would be nice.

You're not that far. Bring it out here. :)

Another thing I noticed, but forgot to say earlier, the car has a hard time starting and when you drive around at around 5in. vacuum, no boost at all, it starts popping rapidly like every cylinder is backfiring. It sounds exactly like popcorn only a little faster.

When are you available Dave? We can schedule a date and time according to your standards and requirements. Whenever you have time just let me know.

Back