am i getting ripped off?

kurtslash

i finally took my car to the shop to get my motor mounts changed and also to fix a water leak that i couldnt find. they told me that my rad is leaking and that need to be fiexed also thay told me that the timing belt cover is also leaking :confused: so my question is.... is it true that the timing cover can leak? they are gonna charge me 40 dll for each mount and 220 to fix the leaks and to remove and install the fixed radiator which o have to take to another shop to get it fix. does that sound like a fair price?
also since i already started another tread i want to keep my car as cool as possible but i dont have the money to buy a burned chip to make the fan come on sooner so i know i can cut the wire #14 to make the low speed fan come on as soon as i turn the car on but what color is this wire? how to turn the low speed fan off when the high speed comes on? i know i have to mess with the relays but i dont exactlly know how can someone help me?

I am not sure about the prices cause I'm from Canada...but I do know that changing the motor mounts is a pain in the *** and $40 to change them is money well spent.

timing covers rarely leak unless someone re-did the engine with non Ford gaskets, the stock timing cover gasket almost lasts forever, just take a look for yourself or ask them to show you on the hoist before they begin.
Its timing chain cover, are you sure its not just the front seal on the cover(drips oil)

well

i think those are fairly decent prices-40 bucks a mount is money well spent, and the timing cover is a pita. as for rarely leaking-please-its a fairly common problem. the stupid timing covers corrode when people dont change the antifreeze-then they start to leak-usually coolant. if the timing cover's leaking, id plan on buying either a used one, or a new one, as the old ones probably shot.

yea the gaskets rarely leak, if its the cover, they're changing the cover :rolleyes: , a halfass way to fix it is to use a paper gasket and cover it with sealant :eek:

well i ended up paying 750 for a new radiator, new water pump, installation of motor mounts (l&r) and the cover we spoke about. do you think its a good price or not? my bird is my daily driver so i was forced to pay the price. thanks you guys for all your inputs.

I would have tried some kind of stop leak stuff in the rad. first before buying a whole new thing. could fix the problem and is a hell of a lot cheaper.

brucki15 said:
I would have tried some kind of stop leak stuff in the rad. first before buying a whole new thing. could fix the problem and is a hell of a lot cheaper.

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER (GET THE POINT) put stop leak of ANY kind into your engine. You will do things not intended to do. Some of these inclued block other cores to the RAD, build up crap on lower flow portions of the engine, and possibly clog the heater core. Dont believe me? Try it with your sh!+ but leve mine alone.

Oh and thats about an average price.

Chris

seawalkersee said:
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER (GET THE POINT) put stop leak of ANY kind into your engine. You will do things not intended to do. Some of these inclued block other cores to the RAD, build up crap on lower flow portions of the engine, and possibly clog the heater core. Dont believe me? Try it with your sh!+ but leve mine alone.

Oh and thats about an average price.

Chris

Amen to that

Back