Short block rebuild, how are these brands & prices?

AlanEdwards

I spun 2 rod bearings, so I'm doing a short block rebuild. I know to use felpro gasgets, but how about ASC brand water pump and Melling brand oil pump? And, how about Hi-Tech brand cam bearings, main bearings, and rod bearings? Any knowledge of the quality of these?

I'm replacing all of the following. Am I missing anything that you can think of?

rings
main brgs
rod brgs
cam brgs
head gasket set (includes all upper engine gaskets, and SC gasgets)
conversion gasket set (lower engine gaskets)
freeze plugs
oil pump
water pump
3 pc timing set (chain, guides, gears)

I've called locally and can get all of this, plus #5 & #6 connecting rods for about $627 + tax. Does that sound fair?

Make sure you are getting a high volume oil pump, and since you are pulling the timing cover you should be looking at a new HB also.

XR7 Dave said:
Make sure you are getting a high volume oil pump, and since you are pulling the timing cover you should be looking at a new HB also.

Thanks Dave, and I don't mean to sound ignorant, and it's probably simple, but uhhhhhh, what a HB?

And the oil pump costs $124 from Auto Zone or an oil pump from Summit Racing for $92, if that tells you anything.

Im going through the same deal...i've been stuck at the reassembly for a while, but as far as ur part questions:
*i got my high flow melling oil pump from summit
*as far as bearings, the best are Clevite 77's (rod, main, cam)
*Rings...i got total seal gapless rings....and thats where Im stuck now... the measurements dont match on my engine so i have to figure out if my bores are bigger or teh rings are bigger. These are supposed to be the best though.
*gaskets......get a full felpro set. The lower plus the upper set makes a complete engine gasket set. Check the part lists on the FAQ for the felpro part numbers.
*Timing set........that im nto sure of. I wasnt going to change mine...but now im thinking...should I? Maybe somebody can jump in and answer that one for both of us
*Water pump....any replacement one will do
*freeze plugs...i got those chagned in the machine shop where i got my block worked on.

HOpe it helps!

ASC water pump

I'm shopping for a long block and other parts also. Looking for recommendations for best parts.

Water pump - ASC? Have found one for sale that claims the following:

This newer design by ASC solves the OEM spec problem. It is all-aluminum, for one, so it will certainly handle and dissipate heat much better. It also has a bearing and impellar design that is far better and durable than stock. This is certainly a must-have item for anyone running overdrive/underdrive pulleys on their supercharger, and I know many folks in the Super Coupe Club of America who swear by them.

Is this water pump really any different from the rest?

Hi tech and cleveite are the same bearings, Hi tech, bought cleveite not too long ago, so pretty soon you wont see cleveite, it woill more than likely be hi tech.

90XR7Cougar5spd said:
Hi tech and cleveite are the same bearings, Hi tech, bought cleveite not too long ago, so pretty soon you wont see cleveite, it woill more than likely be hi tech.

Interesting..... where did this information come from? Clevite is part of the Dana group (with Perfect Circle and Victor Reinz). I would be incredibly surprised if Hi Tech could even come close to having the money to buy Dana or that Dana would sell Clevite. And I can't find any info of Clevite being sold. It's possible Clevite makes bearings for Hi Tech, but I'm very very reluctant to believe they bought Clevite.

That said.. Clevite and Sealed Power/Federal Mogul make very good parts. I haven't seen or heard of anyone running Hi Tech bearings. I would recommened getting a rebuild kit from one or the other (Clevite or SP). You can pick or choose and get the right parts in a kit. They make Re-ring and Master kits and parts can be added or subtracted if you don't need them. If you have it apart, and it has alot of miles on it, I'd get new pistons too. It's not uncommon for the ring lands to break or crack on the stockers. I've ordered stuff from here before http://www.northernautoparts.com/ and had very good experiences. They assembly the kits from various manufacturers, but you can get Felpro, Clevite, Hastings (rings) etc. It's all good stuff. Summit should be able to look up a complete kit too.

Oh.. and the gaskets that come in a Sealed Power kit are Felpro in a brown box. Federal Mogul is the parent company of Sealed Power, Felpro and Speedpro (along with a bunch of other companies).

Good luck,
Steve

I was going to say I'd use Clevite bearings..... then I read the post that Hi Tech bought clevite??.... I'm not saying thats wrong because I don't know for sure, but it would surprise me. And yes clevite is (was??) part of Dana Corp, would Dana really sell off the clevite brand name? So while it MAY be true, I would not chance it, I'd get the ones that say clevite on them so you know. Clevites are a Tri-Metal design and have been known for many years as the standard in the industry. NAPA sells clevite, as well as many other stores. Never heard of that brand water pump, I'd think any new (not rebuilt) pump would be fine. Melling is a good oil pump, another old time manufacturer.

Regardless of ownership, Clevite 77 is a specific design of bearing that's well known to be good.

The Felpro design main bearings are also quite good with a unqiue oiling design that helps oil flowin the mains. Either should do well in a engine being built for high power output. Personally I woulnd't trust anything else.

I've heard that King cam bearings are very killer.

Back