Idle problems??

89Superbird5spd

The other day i was driving, and all of a sudden it felt like my car had no power, and the rpms dropped. it felt like the engine was out of time. then it kicked back to normal. the next day it happened for a more prolonged period, i could not bring my car up to boost or it would chug and not get up to speed. it happened on the highway so i was able to watch the rpms drop from 2k to 1k and go back and forth. i replaced the cam sensor and the crank sensor and the problem still persists. a buddy said it might be the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. anyone experienced this problem before?

89Superbird5spd said:
The other day i was driving, and all of a sudden it felt like my car had no power, and the rpms dropped. it felt like the engine was out of time. then it kicked back to normal. the next day it happened for a more prolonged period, i could not bring my car up to boost or it would chug and not get up to speed. it happened on the highway so i was able to watch the rpms drop from 2k to 1k and go back and forth. i replaced the cam sensor and the crank sensor and the problem still persists. a buddy said it might be the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. anyone experienced this problem before?

also is there any way i can test to find out if it might be the fuel pump/regulator?

i had this happen to me, and it was not good, my harmonic balancer broke, but was still somhow there and rotating, i was messing around on the hiugh way, then my car ran like ****, i got home i had my bro look at it, and he seen my harmonic a little crooked, he pulled on it a little and it feel on the ground (i'm was shocked, that i was able to drive on the highway home and it was working ok most of the time), then we had to use an easy out and take out the bolt and we ended up getting the piece out that was in the timing cover. check your harmonic, not saying thats it, but a possibility, mine was working ok and then like crap, and over and over, so i brought it home to leave it. Alex L

It sounds like your ignition module (the little gray electronic module above the A/C compressor) is failing. This happened to me, and it had similar symptoms. One second ... running great. The next ... barely running. It flipped back and forth for about 24 hours, then died completely. My engine threw a code for "ignition circuit 3 failure" or something like that, so I replaced the coil pack, but nothing improved. Then I had a shop diagnose it, and they replaced the ignition module. Check your codes and see if the car has any hints for you.

Also, it could be a spark plug wire that is arcing. The parts are cheap for this job, but it is a royal pain in the butt and I do not recommend doing it yourself.

The ignitiong module costs about $230. Installation is stinking easy - 15 minute job. It just requires some type of grease between the module and the mount ... do a search on this topic and you should find the info.

with the post above, try to remove the DIS module, clean it and the bracket area, and put a nice coat of electrical greas under it. Alex L

Back