New Upholstery-35th Anniv.

RonzSC

Yes, I finally completely restored the front and rear seats of my 35th Anniv. I had posting about doing it three or so years ago, but had to9 postpone the project while I healed-up from getting kinda sick.
The inserted suede had become so brittle that they crumbled like a soda cracker and were a mess. The black part of the seats were also not repairable. I got the '90 SC new and was in great shape when I passed it on to my daughter, Nikki. Parking it out in the open while going to college was hard on the suede. The moon roof had two clogged drain tubes that would drench the inside of the SC when it rained and that would soak the suede. The water and then the sun caused the suede to dry-out and the result was crummy seats.
i had all original materials used on the outside. I had them use a newer high density foam that would not pack-out. It took 3 hides of black leather and 3 hides of the grey suede. It was a learning experience that I would not soon like to repeat.
The seats look fantastic. Just like when I bought the SC in '90.
Here are some pictures of the work.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
I saw the same earlier.....now there up and looking very nice.
My 35th sure could use a interior overhaul itself :)

quick35th said:
Thats a nice CD player but where are the pics of the seats at?

Shane

wow those seats look mighty nice! I wish my seats in my 35th looked that good but hey now I have zero seats in the car lol! For some reason I am not sure if its because of the age of the seats or the angle of your pics but I seem to think that the original suede looked more golden than silver. They still look good though.

Shane

I hate when that happens...

OOPs! Thanks for the compliment on the

OOPS! The CD player is new as well. It's an Eclipse.
I had to take the pictures from inside the garage and I am going to take some better shots this weekend for the member page.

Last edited:
Thanis for the good words.

Thanks all for the nice words on the seats of my 35th SC.
The suede is easily available, I guess. The shop estimates the number of hides and the give his material supplier the color. .

How expensive? If you don't mind sharing that info. Seats do look great. My seats don't need work right now, but seeing some of these new covers makes me wanna replace 'em anyway

They aren't cheap.

These aren't covers, but covers would save you about a grand. i think I maight have gone with the seat covers, but the foam was shot. Also I thought they didn't match the 35th Anniv. scheme and would look kinda hacked-up.Katzin makes some great seat covers and that was the stuff I had narrowed mychoice down to for seat covers. They are the seat covers that are used on Horsepower TV and Trucks and they are here in So Cal. My seats were really bad and lead me to having the seats custom stitched.
Costs can vary according to what you want and the shop that does the work. i elected to have mine done by a shop that has done some of the best craftmanship I've seen at the car shows in my part of southern California. He picked-up the seats and returned to my house to install the final product. It was raining like heck at the time. So that was a plus. He was careful to use the Ford Black material and high impact foam underneath.
If you price a quality seat cover and add a grand that will give you an idea of what a custom job goes for in So Cal. I'm sure it's not going to be as high elsewhere.

Doing some reading on 35th annive seats and care....I stumbled upon these pix. Gorgeous seats!! Hopefully the owner still has it...if he happens to see this, I'd be interested in what kind of material was used to replace the suede pigskin. is it alcantara?

Back