Possible electronics failure on my hands, need some advise

quick35th

Ok so today I while driving down the freeway I noticed that the tach started twiching along with the motor kinda cutting out while I was driving. It doesn't do it alot, just here and there. This only lasts for a split second so it is very hard to notice it and there is no loss of power. Its sorta like an on off switch. But anyways. I also noticed while sitting at a light that my reverse glow indiglow gauges lighting was starting to flicker just slightly and that the VMM was blinking and reseting itself alot. Then I noticed that if I step on the brake peddle the firm ride light will dim then come back and the tach neddle will bounce slightly. Do you guys have any idea whats going on? Could my alternator be going bad or could it be worse?

Shane

Twitching

Sounds more like the ignition switch acting up or a bad ground. My ignition switch was replaced under a recall because of those types of problems. Good luck

vancouverBC said:
Sounds more like the ignition switch acting up or a bad ground. My ignition switch was replaced under a recall because of those types of problems. Good luck

Hmm that does make sence that it could be an ignition switch because last weekend I could turn the key and it would do nothing. The little chime would be a solid noise then start to beep like normal then the car would start. So yeah thats what it sounds like it could be. How hard is it to replace the ignition switch?

Shane

Once you take off those 2 covers around the collum you will see the switch. On mine it had become very loose and all I did was to take a hammer and tap the prongs back down and no more trouble. They are not hard or expensive to replace. Its up to you.

Hey thanks for the advise! I will have to try that tonight and see if it makes a difference.

Shane

Hmm well after getting soaked by rain last night after work I got in my car and guess what... it has no power. So I called one of my friends to jump me thinking the battery had died so as my buddy gets there I open the door and all the lights come on. So I am like hmm and try to start the car and guess what it started. So I know I have a loose connection at the battery. This morning it did the very same thing so I used a hammer and tapped the possitive and negative terminals and it started right up. All I have to say is hmm.

Shane

Sure sounds like it's your terminals not making a good connection then. If your battery is low then your tach will be slow to respond. The only thing I know if that can make your tach jump all around without affecting power is your DIS module. I would first check that your terminals are clean from corrosion and tight. Then I would have the system checked at an Autozone or someplace to see that your battery and alternator are fine. If it passes, I would then check the DIS.

I swapped a DIS from a 91 SC to an 89 once....and the "jumping tach" problem transferred right over to the 89. To fix, try reapplying a coating of heat sink grease and see if that works. If not, then get another DIS.

Your car will definitely act screwy if the battery connections are coming in and out though...so I would start there.

Micah

Check the battery cable at the point where it is crimped (or maybe soldered) to the cable terminal. Frayed copper wires or corrosion at the connection are a sign of a damaged cable. The cables tend to give at that point when the battery is not bolted down.

Back