PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Ride Control Problem

Robert Kohlman
07-13-2002, 04:33 PM
My ARC on my 1990 SC is not working properly. The Firm Ride indicator is staying on all of the time. I pulled the Run fuse in the car and tried to get it to throw some codes. I can hear the relays kick on but they never go off. The only code that the car had was 20 which indicated a problem with the right rear actuator. My front right actuator was off when I took off the cap so I thought that might have been the problem. I checked it for proper operation and put it back on.

I have removed every actuator and put a small screwdriver in the slot and they will click back and forth under power when I put pressure on them. I can make each one of them throw a code that indicates an actuator problem at that particular shock. I also used a pair of needle nose plyers to make sure that the valve in each of the shocks was not stuck. I have also unhooked the ARC computer and relays. When I unhook the ARC computer or pull the run fuse the firm light will go off. However, as soon as I put the computer of fuse back in the firm light comes back on and I hear the relays kick on.

Any suggestions??

Thanks, Bob

gldiii
07-13-2002, 05:13 PM
Maybe there is a short in the switch or somewhere that is turning it "on" all the time. Remove the center console and unhook the plug from the switch to see if that will turn it off.

Digitalchaos
07-13-2002, 09:47 PM
I think I recall a post in which someone had a similar problem, and found the harness to the arc computer loose. After correcting it, the problem was gone

Robert Kohlman
07-13-2002, 10:50 PM
I unhooked the computer and put it back on securely. I also unhooked the switch and that didn't solve it either. I've spent several hours trying to figure this out with no luck yet.

I have a tech article from the mn12performance site on testing the ARC. I guess that I will have to try it.

Thanks for the replys.