problem still persists

89Superbird5spd

i already asked this a couple days ago but the problem is still around, so my car has been being wierd lately. sometimes it happens right when i start up but usually whenever it gets to operating temp or has been running for about 5 mins, it starts to chug and the tach dances. it feels like i am running on 4 cylinders. i looked at some old posts and i changed the fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator (huge PITA), cam sensor, and crankshaft sensor. and the problem is still around. i am going to go and try to clean up the DIS module a bit and see what happens. but can anyone think of anything that might still be wrong? some ideas i got from you guys are the harmonic balancer or DIS module. i dont want to replace something else that probably still works. please help! thanks

Your symptoms are absolutely identical to problems I once had. My car would act like it was running on 4 cylinders and had no power. This usually happened after driving for a while and seemed to be heat related. I could shut it down and wait for a while and it would start up and run fine. It would sometimes run fine for an hour or it would do the same thing as soon as it heated up. In my case a new DIS module solved the problem. You can try to clean up the mounting surfaces and replace the heat sink compound on the DIS, but IMO if it's fried, it's fried. The DIS generates a lot of heat as a microprocessor and if that heat is not dissipated it's going to fail. John

how much did u end up spending on your DIS? cause i ran the codes today and i threw 2 for the DIS. so i am assuming that is the problem seeing as how i have replaced everything else that could be causing it. ive been replacing the cheapest stuff first :D

It's been a few years so I really don't recall the price of new DIS module. I think it was around $200 with a discount from Ford. I think they are quite a bit cheaper aftermarket now. There are people here, who seem to know, that say they're all made by the same company (Standard). Personally, I would try aftermarket for the price difference. Also why not try a good used one from someone here on the board? John

ooo im liking the lifetime warrenty thing lol. is there any way to test my DIS module before i go and buy the new one? i did a few searches but didnt come up with any specifics

try this it is cheap!!

89Superbird5spd said:
i already asked this a couple days ago but the problem is still around, so my car has been being wierd lately. sometimes it happens right when i start up but usually whenever it gets to operating temp or has been running for about 5 mins, it starts to chug and the tach dances. it feels like i am running on 4 cylinders. i looked at some old posts and i changed the fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator (huge PITA), cam sensor, and crankshaft sensor. and the problem is still around. i am going to go and try to clean up the DIS module a bit and see what happens. but can anyone think of anything that might still be wrong? some ideas i got from you guys are the harmonic balancer or DIS module. i dont want to replace something else that probably still works. please help! thanks
i just had kind of the same strange behavior and i changed the starter soleniod on the fender beside the battery and ,as strange as it seems it worked!!!

89Superbird5spd said:
ooo im liking the lifetime warrenty thing lol. is there any way to test my DIS module before i go and buy the new one? i did a few searches but didnt come up with any specifics

As far as i know there is no way to test it atleast i couldnt find away.

turns out they can test them at an autozone store, turns out that my DIS module was bad so i ordered a new one and im hoping this will fix my problem...i ran 2 codes for the DIS so im pretty sure this will do it. thanks for the help!

I'd try taking it off and cleaning the mounting area and applying some new heatsink, before buying a new DIS. The heatsink can break down with age and cause problems like you are having. You might still end up needing a new one, but I'd try that first.

Back