Difference In Switches!!!

bbird94

Hey Guys,

I am looking to wire up a couple of fans, neons and a solenoid up to inside switches inside the car. Right now all I would like to do is wire up my radiator fan manually and my intercooler fan!! All I want to do is turn on and off the certain things that I want to use.

The switch that I like is a rocker switch because of it's cosmetic looks. But would this switch work for what I need or would I need something like a toggle switch.

Any help would be much help and thank you for your effort!!

See Ya,
Brandon

If what you want to turn on and off has a high current draw you can use the rocker sw. to turn on and off a relay. That way you wont burn the sw. but you can still use the sw. style you like. Fans would be High current, neon would be very low current.

Switches

Buddy,

What do ya mean by "sw"? Pretty much what your sayin is that I need to use a rocker switch for a fan and a toggle switch for the neons!! Thank you for your help and quick reply!!!

See Ya,
Brandon

bbird94 said:
Buddy,

What do ya mean by "sw"? Pretty much what your sayin is that I need to use a rocker switch for a fan and a toggle switch for the neons!! Thank you for your help and quick reply!!!

See Ya,
Brandon

Brandon,

It doesn't matter..you can use either style. I prefer the rockers because they look better and are less likely to be broken off by some ham handed kid at the car wash.

David

bbird94 said:
Buddy,

See Ya,
Brandon
Sorry I was leaving the house and was in a hurry. Sw = Switch.

You need to pick out the Switch style you like Rocker, Toggle, Duckbill Toggle, Push on-push off, Lighted or not. Then for the one for the fan make the Switch turn on a relay for the fan that way there is low current draw on the Switch and you will not burn it up. For the Neon’s you can just use the switch because they have very low current draw.

I'm assuming that you want to use some type of colored Switch in your car and not a big steel one like you would find in an 18 wheeler. Most of the colored ones can not handle the sustained high temps that a cooling fan would put on it. Remember that all the power for the fan would have to pass through the small contacts in the Switch, which will make it get hot because of the resistance.

If you need any further help either post back on this thread or Message me.
Hope I cleared it up for you :cool:

You can use one of those big green pushbuttons if you out of an arcade machine if you like. There are a million ways to do what you want, but you have to be a little more spefic on how many devices you want to connect and how do you want them to work. e.g. do you want to turn on each device independently or all of them with the same switch? Do you want 1 switch to turn on everything? Do you want to turn on all the devices with a single switch but have a single switch that turns them all off?

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Jeff

PS SW is switch.

Back