I Got Sap On My Car !!!

bbird94

Hey Guys,

My car got parked under a sapling tree and there is sap all over it! Is there any products out there that will get it off and not damage the paint?!

Thanks Guys,
Brandon

I wish that was my worst problem. Yeah most auto part stores have stuff to remove it. Goo gone and others.

I swear by Goo Gone now! I got road tar on my 89 firebird before I sold it. A bit of elbow grease and Goo Gone and it came off like you could tell it was there to begin with. It had been on my car months before I decided to take it off too and it still worked like a charm!

Try out some gas line antifreeze. Soak a small section of a rag, place it on the sap and let it sit for about 10 seconds, then wipe it off. Be sure to wax your car after as anything you use will strip it off.

Denatured alcohol. It will dissolve it away and not damage the paint. Use a soft white cotton cloth to apply it and don't rub hard.

Isopropyl alcohol also works but isn't quite as strong as denatured. Re-wax afterward.

The reason gas line antifreeze works on sap is because it has isopropyl alcohol in it. :D

Or you could just clay bar the whole car. I'm sure it could use it :) After Dan turned me on to the clay bar I'm sold. That stuff is the biz for cleaning paint!!!!!

Micah

sap remover

i'm not sure were to buy it around you, but its called sap remover white bottle with red letters and a plastic blade.

onequiksc said:
Denatured alcohol. It will dissolve it away and not damage the paint. Use a soft white cotton cloth to apply it and don't rub hard.

Isopropyl alcohol also works but isn't quite as strong as denatured. Re-wax afterward.

The reason gas line antifreeze works on sap is because it has isopropyl alcohol in it. :D

I've gotta remember that. We used to live in a duplex with no covered parking--under a pine tree. There were a few times it dropped a quarter sized drop of sap on my black Amigo. Used 3M adhesive remover, which even got off older marks that were long since dried. Definitley go further with a light polish or rubbing compound to be sure to get it, then wax. Even if it looks like it's gone, it might show up later on one day as a white spot. Don't put it off.

Wd-40

I have Harley Bug and Tar (and Sap) remover and it works really good. Except on really stubborn tar. For that I use WD-40. It works really well on the stubborn stuff and it might work well on sap, although I have never had the misfortune.

As another poster said, Goo-Gone is also a great product.

Good luck. Hope that you get it all off.

Scott

Micah is clay crazed, lol.

Clay might work for very fresh (gummy) sap, but hardened sap will laugh at clay bars with glee. It won't remove it and you'll likely scratch up the area trying if you apply too much pressure.

The alcohol is amazingly effective even on old hard sap. A cleaner wax or swirl remover will remove the milky haze that you'll get from the alcohol dissolving the sap/breaking it down.

Be forewarned though, if you leave the sap on too long (weeks/months) the alcohol will still work, however you'll find an etching in the outline of the sap that has eaten into or through your paint. Don't wait too long to get sap off once you see it. :cool:

P.S. One way to remember about the alcohol; sap is used to make shellac. What do you use to thin shellac? DENATURED ALCOHOL!

Back