Engine torn down need advice ?

Willy

Recently purchased a 94 Red 5spd 117k body and int in very decent shape .
First I would like to thank, Chris Wise, Dave Dalke, and Dave Neibert for the replies to my questions when Emailed.
Let me fill everybody in on vehicle info. When this car was started it would idle like a dream, when rpm brought up or under any load it would sound like a diesel truck.
Upon tear down I found conn rod bearings worn down to copper with one of them missing some metal. I’ve recently saw some pics on this site with a SC with similar mileage and had same bearing wear appears to be common with this type mileage.

Now I am in need of suggestions fellas, visited machine shop and they gave me the following prices, check block cond alignment etc, 140.00 rebore 150.00 regrind crank 150.00 balance rot assy 225.00 valve job (clean up heads) 150.00 assemble long block 400.00 total labor $1,215.00

I have a Coworker who works on an Eagle rod Reps car, so I could get a good deal on a set of H beam rods now avail through Eagle for our cars. After this is where I get stumped, I would like to go with forged pistons but don’t know which ones, was leaning towards Ross but don’t know price part #s or so forth. Was planning on building bottom end and
Retain the upper due to money which we all know runs out very quick and I could keep the engine in car and always tear top down to redo upper end. This would get car on road and give me the tine to work on heads an decide on valve train and so forth.

Any info would be greatly appreciated Piston info is there a mild cam that will still be emissions friendly?

Thanks Willy W,
3rd SC 92auto sold many years ago, 92 5spd daily driver stock, 94 5spd engine torn down

Back