My Front Mount is Finished (PICS)

fastsc92

I was able to steal my friends camera to snap a few pics of the finished set-up. Overall, everything fits nearly perfectly, and I think it looks as good as it functions. Driving around for about 2 hours the intake temps after the IC were about 68 degrees in 57 degree ambient temps. Long WOT runs in 3rd and 4th gear only rose to a MAX of 72 degrees in the same ambient temp. Overall, I think thats a huge improvement over what I was seeing before with the stock set-up. I lost a little boost, as my max boost in 4th gear is 14psi. Most of the time it pegs 13psi easily and overall i only lost about 2 pounds of boost. I'm only running a 5% pulley and a very good exhaust, so the numbers are reasonable. Alright, enough of me talking, here are the pics. Let me know what you think.

Construction: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62423

Finished Product:

ic1.jpg

ic2.jpg

ic3.jpg

ic4.jpg

ic5.jpg

ic6.jpg

ic7.jpg

ic8.jpg

ic9.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice.........., now all you have to do is get rid of the free advertisements on the rad support. :p

When can we weld up the subframe connectors on my car. ;)

oh man, those stickers are old, since I bought that car. Those parts are long gone by now.

Anytime you want, I got a mig, tig, stick, however you want to weld that in there.

Very nicely done!! Very clean looking. :)
Now when does production start? How much? and how many will you be keeping in stock? :p ;)

So much work was involved in this.....and like you said, very very few serious people about this. Thanks for the reply's guys.

I do particularly like the custom radius bends. Very nice. So how do you calculate what radius you want? I'm not much into math. lol

Dave, I make everything out of cardboard, in order to get the actual placement of parts. I figure most of it out using basic tools like a tape measure, compass, and protractor. Even with the bends, a lot can be done by just shaping the cuts ever so slightly. That exhaust I made over the winter (I'm sure most have seen the pics), was practice so i could get a feel for this. I really like how the upper and lower tubes break at the rad support, for a clean look.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Makes all the hard work worth it.

very nice work.. Looks sweet. I have a couple questions for ya, if you dont mind, I assume you got on it, after all that hard work :) and what happened to the engine coolant temps ? i remember seeing the MP setup, and i swear i just knew it was going to be a prob with the radiator not cooling that great, but yours is only a portion, unlike the MP one. The temp still fine ? The intercooler there doesnt kill to much of the air to the radiator, i was going to do a setup lower with another type of intercooler but (when i posted what i wanted to do before, some, good tech guy, suggested that would be the best IC, the one you have) setup mine lower, as low as possible in the front, do you have your a/c condensor still on there ? or it wont work with it ? I see you have an enlarged top, do others need to have one ? do you think there could be more gains with an IC fan in the back of that ? or a puller fan on the front of the radiator? :) or no room ? How about rubbing ? When u step on it, nothing hits ? also you have any ideas of the intake temps, i probably will go with aluminum piping like you did (i seen 3" aluminum piping kits for about 110.00 on ebay), but like people posted, aluminum is like a heat sink (i just love it because you can polish it and also its so light), (i'm assuming your using aluminum piping) i'm thinking if i get mine done (someday) i think i might get it ceramic coated (i believe they have a chrome look , they offer) to better prevent the heat. Also i think a person suggested to you to put a lip on the ends of the piping connections by the silicone hose pieces (i think they posted that theres used to pop off, due to not having that, you did that to your kit ? If not have you seen that problem ?) ..well once again, nice job, i'm not trying to bash you in anyway, I'm just wondering these things.. Alex L

ever think about an IC sprayer (for water or Nitrous) ? or this is not needed ?

i see you're running a zex nitrous system.where exactly did you plum the line into. i'm going to get a zex system and i've seen several different locations to install the nitrous line.

Well SuperSC91, I'm going to try to answer all of you questions.

The coolant temp. with a stock radiator and fan stays at 190degrees, and I have a 180 stat. The IC itself is 1/4 inch away from the headlights and an inch from the lower bumper. Space is very very tight, and I cant go any lower or higher with it. I took out my A/C for now ( just the condenser), but I made the kit work with the a/c, just having a shorter aircon condenser which i plan to get very soon. I do have a raised top, however, I was using this top with my stock tubes, so I dont see it as a problem for anyone else.

After cruising around for 2 hours straight in traffic and city/town driving, the IC itself is very cold, and I'd say the surface temp of it is about 70 degrees. Adding a fan prob. wouldn't do anything. Like i said, everything fits like a glove with this set-up, there are zero rubbing issues so far, fits under a stock hood. There are hump couplers at the flex points to provide movement under engine load. I also posted my results of the outlet temps in the original post.

I went with aluminum piping because its light, and you can polish it for more of a show look. The time involved to weld it is a pain sometimes, but i dont think any of you have noticed that those pipes are in peices. :cool: .

Even after driving around in stop and go traffic for hours, the IC tubes are barely even warm, and the outlet temps still stayed around 70 degrees while cruising. So i dont see them as being a heat sink, since they are much further up, and the results speak for themselves.

All the connections are beaded using a bead roller, so nothing will blow off or some loose. The couplers are 4ply and use t-bolt clamps so nothing went the cheap route.

Finally, in my opinion, IC sprayers are not needed, and a waste. Sure it might work, but the front mount holds its own in the cooling department. In my situation, I spray nitrous at the return plenum, which would provide a much better cooling effect than any sprayer...plus 55-75 HP :p .

I think I answered all of those question........

Thanks for the reply's guys.

im just gunna throw this out there, i know you said there arent many people really serious. but just an estimate how much would you be willing to sell a kit for? or maybe just the piping? Do you think you could maybe do a few special orders for those who really do want one? any other FMIC kit for our cars are way too expenisve for me and probably most of us. So how about maybe doing a couple orders with a down payment or something so you dont loose out on those who aren't serious. Sorry its so long, it was just a thought.
your work is awesome and I would be proud to sport that kind of quality under my hood. i admire your talent.

shane

Yeap........I'm feeling the same way........but an estimate with the other condenser would be nice.........I can't afford to give up my A/C in Texas.

If i do decide to make some, I will not supply a condenser. You will have to purchase that on your own. I will no be able to just sell the piping, since they are welded to the endtanks, and the endtanks are also made from scratch and modified.

Things to keep in mind:

Shorter A/C Condenser
Mustang P/S Cap
Removal of stock IC bracket on P/S assembly
Cutting of the return plenum, and welding on a 2 inch nipple
Slight notching of Rad. frame opening

I'd really need to figure in my time to get a price, and what needs to be done by the consumer prob. deters people. The price will we cheaper than the MP unit for sure, but prob. not as low as people might think. Expect to spend at least $900 plus shipping. Bascially every kit i make is going to be slightly different, and a lot of time is taken to make sure everything fits properly.

At this point I need to see if I have available time to make more, as well as if I have time to bring my car off the road in order to fit these.

Materials?

What is the dimensions and brand of the IC you used? also the size of tubing?

I was looking at a unit that had both pipes on the same end of the IC and flow was top to bottom. Both tubes would hook up to the IC right where the stock unit does. Will have to push the Cond. out to get it in there, Wife is like a vampire.....not tolerent to sun or heat, so the AC has to stay.

Opinions?

mikeH

The core was 18x12x3 bar and plate IC....horizontal flow, with new endtanks.

Top flow to bottom flow works well...but most available are rather thin and only about 6 inches tall. The max you can fit in front of the bumper, height wise is about 13".

Back