Motor options

Douglas Walker

I recently did a complete rebuild on my 89sc. I enjoyed it for 2500 miles and boom HG. I started pushing the coolant out the overflow tank. Now the reason? Could be a # of things.
16:1 air fuel for breakin until dyno/tune
BIG one didnt surface the block
Or my failure to install HG correctly

My thought is to tear it all the way down have the block surfaced and run some MLS HG's. Buy bearings, Felpro gaskets.

The question I have is about the rings. Should I reuse them or go with new ones. I had the block bored 10 over when I had the machine work done with a set of sealed power pistons. What are my options?

I am using ARP head studs.

Any other input would be appreciated

thank
Doug

Last edited:
my 2 cents

Douglas Walker said:
I recently did a complete rebuild on my 89sc. I enjoyed it for 2500 miles and boom HG. I started pushing the coolant out the overflow tank. Now the reason? Could be a # of things.
16:1 air fuel for breakin until dyno/tune
BIG one didnt surface the block
Or my failure to install HG correctly

My thought is to tear it all the way down have the block surfaced and run some MLS HG's. Buy bearings, Felpro gaskets.

The question I have is about the rings. Should I reuse them or go with new ones. I had the block bored 10 over when I had the machine work done with a set of sealed power pistons. What are my options?

I am using ARP head studs.

Any other input would be appreciated

thank
Doug
i would tear it apart to the head gaskets. then look for cause of failure. what compression ratio pistons did you use? might be to much. stock i think is 8.2 and tighter and you will over squeeze the chamber until headgaskets pop. look at failure when you find it and analyze until you find the problem or you will have the same problem again.!!

WOW Doug that sucks!!!!! You were useing the ARP studs? What kind of gaskets were you useing? Did you have your heads resurfaced?
I would just pull the head and see if I could find the problem before I jerked the engine. You'll have to replace those rings if you remove the pistons from the block. Maybe your running lean burnt the fire ring on the gasket. :(

I used the stock seal power replacement piston. Im not totally sure what the compression ratio was but it couldnt be to far from stock.

Im gonna inspect the surfaces and gasket when i get it tore down but I really think im gonna surface the block if i go that far so it doesnt happen again.

My first dyno pull I was at 16:1 A/F so id say thats pretty lean. Dave D. took care of that problem with a tune chip at around 2400mi. But the first 2000miles or so I just drove it. I didnt really start tearin it up till 2250.

Mike if I replace the rings should the cylinders be honed to remove the glaze or do u think the block is fresh enough that it hasnt glazed yet?

Doug

Back