Took new mods to the track today.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
It was a regular Summit series race with the usual group and a few of the semi-regulars. I've added the 85mm TB, new IC, and new cold air intake along with a new dyno tune to match. Time to put my new 322 hp to the test. With a forecast for cool weather I was looking for some good runs and maybe a new record. I came close on my 1st time trial with a 12.872 @ 110.64 which is a record speed. I had so much wheelspin on the cold track both on launch and my 2nd gear shift that it should have been a 12.6 something but that's racin. I think this car could definitely run a 12.5 under the right conditions. BTW, I kicked a Mustang with a 14.554 in the process. Since I'm limited to a 13.00 in Trophy/Street, I dialed back my shift light to 5100 rpm for my next run. I came close with a 12.997. This felt weird, I've got to slow down to run a 13.0!!?? Anyway, I took just a little more rpm off and did the run for the money with a 13.0 dial and ran a 13.027 just missing winning the pot. My opponent was a new 2005 Mustang who broke out with a 13.564 on a 13.58 dial.
Eliminations started at 3 and I lucked into the bye. We had an even number so I lined up against a Mustang conv who broke and was unable to come to the starting line from the water box and I ended up with a solo run. I worked on my reaction time and ran a 13.178 for an automatic win #1. My next elimination was against a 69 Charger with a newly built 440 in it. I dialed my 13.0 again as I did all day and he dialed a 13.75. It was close but I ran another dead on 13.001 to his 13.824 for win #2. I've still got the bye at this point and end up using it for another solo run for a half hearted 13.202 and another automatic win #3. Moving on to the next round I come up against a 69 Camaro w/a 402 in it. The bad news is I blew my reaction time and he didn't. The good news is I out ran him and hit my dial again with a 13.033 to his 13.326 on a 13.10 dial. But I lost it at the tree to end my day. Not a bad day though with 3 series wins, 2 nonpoints wins and 50 points. I was tied with 2 others for 4th so I'll see on Tues where I'm at now. Several of the top runners lost so I may have moved up a couple of spots. Plus, with the new mod package I seem to be able to hit a 13.0 at will if I have another car to race. I guess all them bucks I just spent were worth it. We run again June 11th.

Consistancy. Wow. You can't do much better then that - and SLOWING down to run 13's?? That's just awsome.

Ira

Back