Budgeted 03' SVT Cobra tranny swap

bdfnbrd

How much work would this be, is it possible? and, how much do you think the tranny would run? used ofcourse, mileage isn't an issue, but my car is also automatic.. Under 2500 you think?

The manual transmissions used behind the 4.6 engines have an integral bellhousing that uses a much different pattern than the 3.8. It would be easier to start with one of the aftermarket versions of the T-56 intended for a 5.0 swap. The 3.8 and 5.0 share the same bellhousing pattern. Still lots of issues to deal with after that. Unless you're a good fabricator, I don't think "budget" and "6-speed swap" can be used in the same sentence concerning an SC. ;)

cheers
Ed N.

if you have an auto now, 94-95, you can do like i did and go ahead and put the 03 stnag tranny in(v6)which is much better than the one you have now.

Tyler

T@Sound-Xtreme said:
if you have an auto now, 94-95, you can do like i did and go ahead and put the 03 stnag tranny in(v6)which is much better than the one you have now.

Tyler

Don't want to start nothing but you would not want to use a Stang trans other than the T56. Reason is the 5 speeds (mainly the T5) cannot handle the torque that our engine put. You would be better either 1. Swapping in the M5R2 from a manual SC or 2. spending the and do the T56 install.

You would have to buy a T56 that does not have to integral bell and just get a bell housing that will allow it to bolt up to a small block (Windsor style) engine.

But, good luck on fab'ing the brackets for the slave cylinder and I believe you have to do some work with the crossmember as well. If you can work with metal then you can do this with some time and patients. I plan on doing it in a few years once the money magicly makes itself appear in my bank account.

Hock said:
Don't want to start nothing but you would not want to use a Stang trans other than the T56. Reason is the 5 speeds (mainly the T5) cannot handle the torque that our engine put. You would be better either 1. Swapping in the M5R2 from a manual SC or 2. spending the and do the T56 install.

You would have to buy a T56 that does not have to integral bell and just get a bell housing that will allow it to bolt up to a small block (Windsor style) engine.

But, good luck on fab'ing the brackets for the slave cylinder and I believe you have to do some work with the crossmember as well. If you can work with metal then you can do this with some time and patients. I plan on doing it in a few years once the money magicly makes itself appear in my bank account.
yes but the parts for the mr52 are getting rare ,thats the reason everyone is looking for alternative swaps.

Hock
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@Sound-Xtreme

Tyler

English boy damn you,

I was under the understanding that the 03 4r70w from the 03 stang would hold up to the tourqe? Am i wrong? i havent really drove mine real real far, but so far it seems to be holding up just fine!?!?!?!!!??!? So whats the official word here?

Tyler

T@Sound-Xtreme said:
English boy damn you,

I was under the understanding that the 03 4r70w from the 03 stang would hold up to the tourqe? Am i wrong? i havent really drove mine real real far, but so far it seems to be holding up just fine!?!?!?!!!??!? So whats the official word here?

Tyler

The offical word is I give it a month

Toms-SC said:
The offical word is I give it a month

LOL, that's funny. The 4R70W will hold up fine. Make sure you install an inline tranny cooler and use Mercon 5. If you haven't read the article on TCCoA I recommend it.

Ford Overdrive Transmissions 101

BTW, T56's do not have an "integral" bellhousing. They all have matching front caps and bellhousings depending on use. The bellhousing does unbolt from the front cap on the trans.

Last edited:
well i got the official word from the tranny man himself, you all are talking about standard, and im talking AUTO, he says i have no worries, and guess what he works on them all day, i think he would know :D :D

Tyler

turbospeed said:
yes but the parts for the mr52 are getting rare ,thats the reason everyone is looking for alternative swaps.

I understand that completely. I am also looking at swapping in a T56 to replace my M5R2, but you also go to look at the fact of what will work and what won't. You can put a T-5 in to our cars, but don't plan on keeping it long. Those tranny's couldn't even take the abuse that a stang driver would put them through. The only one that would come close was the World Class. The T56 in my opinion is the best alternative when it come to the manual trans side of the house, though right now there are no install kits offered and going custom would be rather expensive for a person with a tight budget.

Back