belhousing type

talonhead

Talked with a rep out in WA from www.darkhorseperformance.com and he gave me a short run down of what it would take to swap a LS1 t56 into an SC. He mentioned using a "toploader bellhousing" what would a better discription of this? YEAR/eng/trans? from the measurements He gave me the shifter would be about 1" forward of original. Might have to move back x-member about 1". 27 spline GM yoke same size u-joint as stock, GM pilot bushing and clutch plate. also different slave cyl. would shipping $100 CONUS for xmision maybe whole kit and kaboodle.

Any one delt with these folks?
My winter to do list is getting longer. Will have to take another road job to finance it!!!!!
MikeH

:rolleyes: Gee... I see he has no clue. Regardless of what he does for a living. All the T56 trans use the same case but have specific front plate/bellhousing and Tailhousings per application, Ford, GM, Chrysler and aftermarket. Use the McLeod Universal bellhousing.

I haven't put the thing in yet, but I've researched it thoroughly. There are some measurements and costs in this thread.

BTW, the shifter on the LT1 and LS1 trans is over an inch rearward of any other T56 or Ford specific trans.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=55283&highlight=marksm

Last edited:
tranny swap info

Thanks I had looked at the other info. But I am not familiar with other ford cars and their requisit parts. So, as what tranny will bolt to what bellhousing will bolt to what engine.......not so good at it.

The last RWD stick car that I had was a 1969 Dodge Dart GTS 340, 883 4-spd, 8.75 banjo dif, and wouldn't ya know it, It had small akle bolt pattern also! But it would suck everything that monster Holley 850DP could give,
never bought a tach that went above 8K rpm so don't know how high shw would go. The needle would bounce off the stop @8K then peg.
AAAHHHH! memories(sigh) wonder what she would do today with injection and a fullblown EMS.....4bolt mains and steel crank, throw in a set of H-beam rods........Sorry, dreaming again :D

moving forward

Got the LS1 T-56 trans, Mcleod SFI clutch adapter housing, Hurst Billet Plus shifter. Waiting on delivery of new clutch disk from PAW (Mcleod unit). Pick up trans mount tomorrow. Still tearing down motor to clean up and check internals.

Big Block project got derailed by emergency trip to west coast (2x) drive the wife out (she can't fly) in her H2, fly back then back and drive home. Thank the lord that we were able to find gas less than $3.00/gal comming back. I was impressed somewhat by our mpg 12-16@65-80mph (gotta love TX daylite limits) through the mountains on both coasts was the 12 flatland < 65 was the high.
Now I have to hope that I can keep working the OT to get play budget re-inflated.

Back