The goose is loose.

molson

Newbie here. I've searched the forums about this problem since it first started. I just need things to be loud and clear for me, considering I'm quite the newbie with my SC.

About five months ago I noticed an odd honking noise coming from under the hood everytime the car was idle. It always occured when the car was under 1k rpm. Now things have changed a bit. Everytime I start the car the idle jumps to 2k rpm, after about 30 seconds it will drop down to 1500 rpm, then down to 1k rpm. This also happens everytime the car idles and the honk is much louder now than ever.

So, from what I've read on the forums, it seems I have a couple possibilities here? Replace the IAC, is that it? Check for vaccuum leaks? Something about a torn seal in an "air control valve"?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

molson said:
Replace the IAC, is that it? Check for vaccuum leaks? Something about a torn seal in an "air control valve"?
Its the IAC. The seal can't be repaired and only a motorcraft style IAC will work. The aftermarket one with the extra cable will not work and can't be made to work.

Yes...the IAC valve (idle air control valve) is the problem. It the black sensor thats mounted sideways on the throttle body.

David

Hah! Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!

Now I just have to wait till payday. :mad:

Last couple of question

I found this pic in one of the IAC related threads. If I'm looking at this correctly, I have to remove the top of the charger and the upper intercooler tube as one piece, just to get the IAC out? Any surprises possible? Doesn't the top half of the charger require some sort of seal? If it does any recommendations on how to break the seal? Anywhere I can get it? Napa? Schucks? Dealership?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a true newb. :(

I promise to join the club, once my car is worth mentioning, lol!

Ps - Or is that pic just throwing me way off the trail?

Attachments

• iac.JPG
    iac.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
molson said:
I found this pic in one of the IAC related threads. If I'm looking at this correctly, I have to remove the top of the charger and the upper intercooler tube as one piece, just to get the IAC out? Any surprises possible? Doesn't the top half of the charger require some sort of seal? If it does any recommendations on how to break the seal? Anywhere I can get it? Napa? Schucks? Dealership?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a true newb. :(

I promise to join the club, once my car is worth mentioning, lol!

Ps - Or is that pic just throwing me way off the trail?

You don't have to remove the supercharger. You have to remove the throttle body which consists of the two 10mm bolts holding the throttle linkage bracket to the throttle body, and the 4-11mm bolts holding the throttle body to the inlet plenum. Then the two connectors and "viola" the throttle body is off and easy off for the IAC.

Don

lube70 said:
You don't have to remove the supercharger. You have to remove the throttle body which consists of the two 10mm bolts holding the throttle linkage bracket to the throttle body, and the 4-11mm bolts holding the throttle body to the inlet plenum. Then the two connectors and "viola" the throttle body is off and easy off for the IAC.

Don
Thank you!

Yeah, I actually took a good look at how everything is placed, about 20 minutes after my last post. I laughed, once I figured out the charger isn't involved at all.

Edit: I think I saw a flock of geese, in my rear view mirror, in the "V" formation. The front of the "V" was actually open, about as wide as the car. Maybe they're confused? Hey, I could start a cult! :D

Last edited:
I didn't remove the TB.

I took off the openly exposed bolt first and then pivoted the IAC about 45 degrees. I useed a universal joint swivel and an extension and took out the other bolt. I'm not saying that is the way to do it...just saying that it is possible to do the R & R without removing the TB.
BTW, my new IAC from Ford didn't come with the gasket. Had everything apart and didn't find the gasket in the box. Check for a gasket when you get it from Ford.

RonzSC said:
I took off the openly exposed bolt first and then pivoted the IAC about 45 degrees. I useed a universal joint swivel and an extension and took out the other bolt. I'm not saying that is the way to do it...just saying that it is possible to do the R & R without removing the TB.
BTW, my new IAC from Ford didn't come with the gasket. Had everything apart and didn't find the gasket in the box. Check for a gasket when you get it from Ford.

Ford doesn't include the gasket, you have to buy it seperatly. I had the same thing happen when I replaced mine and had to go back to the dealer for a new gasket.

BTW, I changed mine without removing anything....wasn't any harder than removing the throttle body.

David

Back