90 SC won't Idle

Tory Smith

OK I have done the search but wanted a little input.

My SC will not Idle. It just dies. Runs good otherwise.

I think maybe IAC? I'm gonna Check the Ohms' on the input plugs.

Any other tips or maybe things to check?

Thanks.

Tory Smith said:
OK I have done the search but wanted a little input.

My SC will not Idle. It just dies. Runs good otherwise.

I think maybe IAC? I'm gonna Check the Ohms' on the input plugs.

Any other tips or maybe things to check?

Thanks.

vac. leaks... check your intercooler tubing... how's it die? and how are the rpms as you're starting it... do they go 1k+? give us a little more information please :D

Lvcien said:
vac. leaks... check your intercooler tubing... how's it die? and how are the rpms as you're starting it... do they go 1k+? give us a little more information please :D

Well...

In order to start it I have to give it gas or it wont start. Once its started and I let up on the gas The RPM will drop and engine quits running.

If it's the IAC usually you here a kind of goose sounding honk under there at lower RPM's...Have you had the IC tubes off lately or the SC top??? If so how did you seal them??? and unless the leak is really bad the RPM's will cycle a bit up and down then die. Or if it's bad enough you have to gas it to keep it going?More info on what you have done recentlyto the car,if anything ,would help.

Sweet90SC said:
If it's the IAC usually you here a kind of goose sounding honk under there at lower RPM's...Have you had the IC tubes off lately or the SC top??? If so how did you seal them??? and unless the leak is really bad the RPM's will cycle a bit up and down then die. Or if it's bad enough you have to gas it to keep it going?More info on what you have done recentlyto the car,if anything ,would help.

sounds like it's the IC tubes... I'm resealing mine tomorrow.. well in 7 hours once the sun comes up...

Lvcien said:
sounds like it's the IC tubes... I'm resealing mine tomorrow.. well in 7 hours once the sun comes up...

At least I'm not the only guy in Florida still up... :D

Dang I don't know. I haven't had my tubes off in a couple of years.

This problem just popped up. The water pump started leaking around the same time, about 2 months ago... But I know that has nothin to do with it. So last Saturday I replaced the pump and drove it to put gas in it, problem still existed.

This winter was bad and I was having this issue so I parked the bird and pulled the battery. Drove the beater honda in the snow. Now I have to smog bird and need her runnin. Plus its summer now and I want it!!

With the AIC I'm not sure what you mean by the honk sound under low rpms. As I also have a bad bearing in my main idlerpulley and can't hear much of anything over it. ha ha. To top it off my rearview mirror just fell off my window. :(

I'f I didn't love this chicken (had it for nine years now) I'd be traddin her in tomarrow.

OK an update...

I tested the IAC.. and its good.
I checked for vacume leaks and found none.

So I adjusted the Idle screw on the throttle stop and it brought my RPMs up to operating speeds and there you go. It runs great and idles great. :)

Tory, I haven't heard from you in years. I thought you'd moved on from the SC community. Good to see you around and to hear your car is now running fine.
Got any pics of your new wheels?

Last edited:
Hey Scott hows it been.

No I haven't moved from the SC.. I love my friggin car!! Ha ha. I have alway wanted an SC when they first came out and I aint givin it up. Its paid off and Now I have too many cars but I don't care.

Here is the only pic I have of my wheels. They are ADR 18s. With Kumho tires.

mase.jpg

How are your birds doin?

Back