so the #14 wire trick is bad?

platinumsc7

I just read a reply to one of my previous posts, and it said the #14 wire trick is not a good idea. Is it also bad to keep the high speed fan on, or to switch it? Could I put a switch on the #14 wire and turn it off when the a/c is on? I also read something about grounding the #17 wire to keep the high speed fan on. How do I do this, and is it also a bad idea? Finally, how would I go about installing an adjustable fan relay? I'm trying to understand electronics, but I'm so paranoid that I'll mess my shit up big time! Thanks to all who reply. Brian

I don't see how interrupting the #14 wire is a bad idea. I installed a manual switch under my dash this Spring to manually open and close that wire. It works great. I don't use it all the time. I only use it when the car is hot in traffic. Under normal driving on the highway I don't need it. The only thinkg bad about it I can think of is overusing the fan (this is low speed) and wearing it out too soon. I used it the GREAT EFFECT last week when taking vacation to the beach in very hot weather. I used it quite a bit to keep the engine temp well below 220.

I seem to never need the high speed fan. It never comes on, partly because I use #14 to keep the temp below the normal turn on temp for low speed, 222.

When the A/C is on and you are driving less than about 43 mph, the low fan comes on by the computer so in that case it doesn't matter if my manual switch is no or not. If you are driving above about 48 mph the computer turns off the fan even though the A/C is on. Then I use my manual switch to effect.

I have found no use in messing with #17 for the high speed fan as my car never needs it now.

Jon

I had a cool fan (Hayden) switch with a 185 turn on thermo that used for over a year, and I had the Hayden relay go bad on it last month, which prompted me to try cutting the #14 wire and see what would happen. I was about to order a thermostatically controlled switch that Chuck93SC had on his but... It's been about 5 weeks now, and the car runs at a VERY consistent temp now, right on the N regardless of how much I get on it. It used to fluctuate more with the cool fan switch in the loop, so for now...it's been a better alternative for me. I still get my HS fan with the AC switched on, and so far, no problems whatsoever.
Yes, it will probably wear out the fan motor faster this way but, I have a spare.

This is my experience with it, your results may vary.( I feel like a lawyer when I say that ). :)

A number of years ago, I spliced a wire into the wiring harness (pin 7 ??) with an alligator clip on the other end, that I would clip onto the passenger courtesy lamp when I wanted to force the fan on high at the drag strip to cool the engine down between runs. I'm not positive that it was pin 7, but by grounding one of the circuits to the computer, you can force the high speed fan on.

This worked great to get consistent times at the track without extended cool-down periods.

Back